'The pain of isolation...'

Interesting article, I think.

'Why would a person with Asperger's feel driven to suicide? To me, the answer to this is obvious. The need to bond with others is a basic human need. The very definition of Asperger's is to have trouble fulfilling that need. So why is it surprising that someone with these difficulties might fall into despair?'

The Pain of Isolation: Asperger's and Suicide

Parents
  • Nice article, you seem to do a lot of research on the internet.

I prefer to read books.

• I'm currently reading 'Neurotribes'.  And I'm picky with my internet research.  It was published in 'Psychology Today', which I've always thought of as a decent publication - as opposed to much online nonsense.  It wasn't 'research', anyway.  Simply something I was directed to by a friend who knows of my interest in the suicide rates of middle-aged people with ASC.

We have to be as careful with the books we read as we are with the internet articles we choose to believe.    Books can misinform just as easily.  The fact of having words published on paper does not make them any more salient than any other words, however published.  True intelligence is about having the ability to make such discriminations.  I don't think that the publishing medium of the article in question detracts in any way from the points it has to make.

By all means, though, continue with your preference for books as reliable sources of information.  I wish more people would do so.

• Another reason I like books is that they contain memories of something that happened while I was reading that particular book.

Many years ago I was on a coach departing Milton Keynes, and the jolting start spilt my coffee all over me and the book I was reading.

The coffee stain is still visible.

• Another reason I like books is that they contain memories of something that happened while I was reading that particular book.

Many years ago I was on a coach departing Milton Keynes, and the jolting start spilt my coffee all over me and the book I was reading.

The coffee stain is still visible.

Children