Christmas Day shout out!

Well...Christmas will soon is upon us...... I have a house full of people (5/6 Christmas Eve, Christmas Day...increasing to 8/9 Boxing Day and the 27th December).

I am dreading it as it will mean several days without any personal space, or quiet time or escape from NTs doing their thing. They will enjoy their traditions and I will be ASD serving wench making sure that everyone has a good time, but inside i will be struggling to cope.

This is a shout out...as I am going to need some help to get me through without a tantrum, shutdown or meltdown.

Is there anyone else about during the Christmas break who is planning to be online ......it would help a great deal to keep me on an even keel!

thank you

Ellie

Parents
  • Hi Ellie!  I've just this minute joined, otherwise I'd have added my support before now.  I hope you managed to get through it all in one piece and that things are quieter for you over New year.  I'm very lucky in that although my family all love big Christmases with everyone together, now that the youngsters are all married with other in-laws to visit, Christmas Day doesn't often include everybody.  Even luckier is the fact that my house is too small for me to have them here! 

I've always found Christmas a struggle because I have S.A.D. so when society is telling us to jump up and down, sing and be sociable, all I want to do is hide under the duvet until the clocks change back!  I've just discovered that I am also on the spectrum (probably an Aspie) which has suddenly, and for the first time, stopped me feeling guilty about this.  It isn't my fault that I don't enjoy loud parties or lots of people talking at once in a confined space, and to suddenly realise that at the ripe old age of 76 is a real game-changer!

It isn't your fault either and I do hope your partner recognises this.

I just lost a paragraph here!!  It said that when I was a child I used to respond to difficult situations by 'dissociating' - mentally taking myself out of the situation to somewhere else - and I know I still do this.  I don't remember learning how to do it or I'd tell you but maybe if you tried to do it, when you're on your own for a few minutes - even in the loo! - it might happen for you, too?

Thank you so much for your post!  It's made me aware that other people can have a much worse time than I do at Christmas!

Hugs,

Vicky-Sue

Reply Children
No Data