Autism traits increase thoughts of suicide in people with psychosis

People with autism traits who have psychosis are at a greater risk of depression and thoughts of suicide, new research has found.

The research, led by Professor Stephen Wood at Orygen, the National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health, showed that, among people with psychosis, depressive symptoms and thoughts of self-harm were not because of the psychosis, but instead were linked to the level of autism traits a person had.

www.eurekalert.org/.../otnc-ati121217.php

Parents
  • Hi FireMonkey

is not autism itself not a form of psychosis? Yes, i believe that there is a greater susceptibility towards depression, anxiety, loneliness etc. The desire to commit suicide could be linked to that inability to articulate profound hurt, isolation, inability to be understood or feelings of not "fitting in" and so conversely...feeling low self worth.

• I've posted elsewhere about my now adult son. Luckily, although he had apparently made preparations and identified a date, my ex-wife cottoned on and they managed to prevent an actual attempt. He now seems to have an extensive amount of contact time with mental health professionals, and is benefitting hugely from gaining a cat as a pet.

What made things worse was that a short while later, a girl in the year below him, followed a few days later by one of his own classmates, decided they too could not stand the pressure at school. Both of them took their own lives, because the little signs they left just weren't spotted by those around them.

These events occurred overseas, so you needn't worry about a UK school with this sort of record.

• That is so sad and shocking...as a teacher of 17 years I have only lost two students to suicide so far ...it is so horrific 

Reply Children
No Data