Is diagnosis as an adult worth pursuing?

I think I am autistic, I have struggled my entire life with many aspects of life, and as I am sure many others on here have done, developed my coping techniques. A diagnosis will not change who I am or how I live my life. Or would it?

For most of my life I have suffered from alcoholism (late teens to early 40's) and it is only now that I am sober for a length of time that I have been able to question my behaviours and come to the conclusion that I may be autistic.

I have taken a few online test and I think the results speak for themselves. AQ50 score of 41, EQ score of 16, Aspie Neurodiverse score 120/200, Neurotypical 84/200 you are very likely Neurodiverse, RAADS-R 142.0.

I am just wondering if a formal diagnosis is worth pursuing? I think it would help me come to terms with how I often feel and provide me with a reason to give to others to explain how I am but the thought of going to my GP, asking for a referral, discussing personal feelings/behaviours and then having to go through it all again at an assessment horrifies me! And I do mean horrifies!!!!

I am currently on strong anti-depressants (citalopram 20mg & Mirtazapine 45mg) but question how much benefit I am getting from them. Whenever I tell my GP that I still feel depressed she just ups the dosage. So not sure how responsive she will be to me asking for a referral for autism.

I don't think self-diagnosis is good enough, I want to know for sure but the process seems off putting.

Have others that have been diagnosed as adults felt a formal diagnosis beneficial?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Parents
  • Hi Rob,

Sounds positive that you have taken the first step! I only got my (NHS) diagnosis 10 days ago after a 14 month wait. Obviously its early days and after 52 years of pretending to be NT readjusting isnt gonna come overnight....BUT the relief is HUGE! So many peeps in their 40s 50s 60s and beyond must have just slipped thru the net, I bet since the Chris Packham BBC doco there have been a lot more people coming out of the woodwork and started looking for a diagnosis.

Do keep us updated as to how your GP meeting goes.

• Hi Rob,

Sounds positive that you have taken the first step! I only got my (NHS) diagnosis 10 days ago after a 14 month wait. Obviously its early days and after 52 years of pretending to be NT readjusting isnt gonna come overnight....BUT the relief is HUGE! So many peeps in their 40s 50s 60s and beyond must have just slipped thru the net, I bet since the Chris Packham BBC doco there have been a lot more people coming out of the woodwork and started looking for a diagnosis.

Do keep us updated as to how your GP meeting goes.

Children
No Data