Involuntary outbursts when alone - sort of Tourette's

Very recently diagnosed with ASD. Does anyone else get a sort of mild Tourette's? When I am alone I tend to say things that I'm thinking, or come out with an involuntary groan or word. It happens particularly when I think of something embarrassing. Is this an ASD thingy? Thanks!

Parents
  • I'm not sure if it's an ASC thing - but I do it a lot.  I've even had it drawn to my attention by people who accidentally overhear me.  If I think of something embarrassing, too - like kissing someone - I make an involuntary exclamation ('Uhh!')  I've tried to exercise control over it, but it still catches me out.  Separately... another thing I constantly do when I'm concentrating on anything at all - reading, writing, driving - is to chew my tongue.  I've done it since I was a child.  I can never stop it.  I'm not sure why it is, but maybe it's a form of stimming.  Again, I've had it pointed out to me a lot.  At school, I was often told off for chewing in class - but it wasn't gum!  I once filmed myself playing a short piano piece.  I was going to upload it to YouTube.  But when I played it back, I looked like I was eating a rubber ball.  It was the first time I realised just how severe and noticeable it is.

• I'm not sure if it's an ASC thing - but I do it a lot.  I've even had it drawn to my attention by people who accidentally overhear me.  If I think of something embarrassing, too - like kissing someone - I make an involuntary exclamation ('Uhh!')  I've tried to exercise control over it, but it still catches me out.  Separately... another thing I constantly do when I'm concentrating on anything at all - reading, writing, driving - is to chew my tongue.  I've done it since I was a child.  I can never stop it.  I'm not sure why it is, but maybe it's a form of stimming.  Again, I've had it pointed out to me a lot.  At school, I was often told off for chewing in class - but it wasn't gum!  I once filmed myself playing a short piano piece.  I was going to upload it to YouTube.  But when I played it back, I looked like I was eating a rubber ball.  It was the first time I realised just how severe and noticeable it is.

Children