What was your epiphany? how did you know/think you were ASD?

What led you seek diagnosis? 

Parents
  • For me, since probably finishing school I started making a mental list that ran through my mind at times of all the things I found difficult towards life, relationships and interacting with other people. For years I saw each "item" as a separate issue without considering that they might add up to something larger. Certainly not ASD as my examples were what I had seen on TV/film which were not at all like me. In terms of epiphanies, I had two.

On 11th September 2015 however I went to a funeral for one of my aunts and quite a few of what I now know to be autistic traits all occurred at the same time. Sadly they also ticked a lot of things on personality disorders so I followed that route first.

Then on 26th November 2016 I happened to be hearing a speech somebody made where they quoted something their autistic child had said, about what it was like being autistic. I was like "wait a minute, that's how I feel..." After that for a laugh really I tried the AQ10 and then the full AQ scoring 10 and 43 respectively. I was actually really surprised by that result, my EQ score I'm not repeating (!). That's how I ended up pursuing formal diagnosis resulting in diagnosis of Asperger's this year.

• For me, since probably finishing school I started making a mental list that ran through my mind at times of all the things I found difficult towards life, relationships and interacting with other people. For years I saw each "item" as a separate issue without considering that they might add up to something larger. Certainly not ASD as my examples were what I had seen on TV/film which were not at all like me. In terms of epiphanies, I had two.

On 11th September 2015 however I went to a funeral for one of my aunts and quite a few of what I now know to be autistic traits all occurred at the same time. Sadly they also ticked a lot of things on personality disorders so I followed that route first.

Then on 26th November 2016 I happened to be hearing a speech somebody made where they quoted something their autistic child had said, about what it was like being autistic. I was like "wait a minute, that's how I feel..." After that for a laugh really I tried the AQ10 and then the full AQ scoring 10 and 43 respectively. I was actually really surprised by that result, my EQ score I'm not repeating (!). That's how I ended up pursuing formal diagnosis resulting in diagnosis of Asperger's this year.

Children
No Data