Daily experience of an autistic

My Universal Credit, work coach referred me  to learndirect for a week long customer care course.

Yesterday I had my interview.

A lot of form filling, name, address, phone no. Email, national insurance, next of kin phone, etc etc etc.

Q...  What is my ideal job?

What job I would refuse to do?

Any disabilities ???????

Around 10 Q about my style of learning. Multiple choice with 3 choices.

Formal face to face interview.

A Maths test. 

Place four numbers in order from lowest to highest?  

Someone spends £10 a week on travel.  How much will he spend on travel in four weeks?  Show all workings.

Etc

An English test.

Circle wrongly spelt words.

Add Capitals and full stops to a sentence.

Identify a verb in a sentence.  They even explained that a verb is an action or doing word.   

Week long course starts on Monday 29th Jan.

• I was asked to do the lifeboat scenario at a half day interview for working at Asda. I didn’t get the job! 

• I suspect that the assessors will be looking for something like this criteria.

https://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/sk/teamwork.htm

• Considering almost everything else here, given as Tests or Checks, I myself would probably wind up in jail. (Plus I always carry a Rucksack)...

• Um, me again. Finally a serious answer from someone else (?)...I was going to write that, considering this particular scenario (sinking ship lifeboat)... I did a little look upon the rest of the InterWeb about it, and that suggested that it is an "Ethical" test: i.e. tests anyone's sense of Ethics....

The given solutions seem to be <>... 1- Save all children, 2- Save any women who are currently "with children", and 3- save someone who can best take care of children. That is what I found, anyway...

• We will be given a situation of maybe 15 people on a sinking ship and a lifeboat that will only take 6 .  The group task is to determine which 6.  While the group dynamics are observed by the examiners.  I'm terrified.

Thoughts:

1) Try not to be terrified. It won't help you handle the situation better. Being a bit nervous is fine. The adrenaline might give you the mental edge you need. 

2) I could be wrong, but I very much doubt that the exercise will actually be about picking 6 people to survive and ensuring 9 people all die. It's just not the sort of thing they do on courses. The media would have a field day: "Nazi Euro training course churns out fascist customer service reps" -- Daily Fail. 

3) I suggest two things that the examiners might be looking for:

a) whether the team is able to spot any potential ways to save everyone concerned, or simply assumes that the 6 folk on the lifeboat will be the only way to survive. 

b) do the team become paralysed and unable to reach a decision, putting EVERYONE at risk. There are four basic methods of situational leadership -- telling, selling, delegating and participating. There is a time and a place to use each one. But if the boat is sinking, the captain does NOT say, "let's all sit in a circle and discuss how we all feel about this..."(!) 

• I was in a shop this week and the shop floor assistant serving me turned her back on me to serve someone else!  I said "Do you mind?" and said to them that she's serving me actually and said they were very rude.    it's 50/50 in that situation if I walk out or if I challenge.

• I can see that sitting inside a sinking ship wouldn't have been a lot of fun. 

If you are outside the ship now, I do hope you remembered to keep your distance as she's going down?

• Sorry, didn't mean to cause confusion.

I would be terrified about that exercise too, it's an awful task. I know two people who have been in such a situation (think they were 12 or so and had two life suits which later turned out would also have leaked if anyone had worn them, but nobody did), quite precisely a year ago off the coast of Svalbard, and just watching them when we heard about that Russian helicopter that crashed into the sea not far from there a couple of weeks ago I think it is absolutely pervert to use this as a scenario for such a course where they could use anything somewhat challenging.

• I'm missing all the fun due to misunderstanding and misinterpreting the subtle messages.  And the misswired connections in my brain. My spelling is also bad Frowning2

As for sinking ships.!!!!!

The learndirect people have dropped strong hints that the assessment will be the sinking ship scenario.

Where I will be in a small group. We will be given a situation of maybe 15 people on a sinking ship and a lifeboat that will only take 6 .  The group task is to determine which 6.  While the group dynamics are observed by the examiners.  I'm terrified.

Now for the ESS assessment.  The reason is the European social fund insists that all clients they fund have to undergo the assessment.

• Yep, indeed, I did. Maybe not appropriate, but watching it from the outside now is a little more fun than it was when sitting inside.

• True, but can you fake it by looking in their general direction, looking at their nose, or looking into one eye, then the other?

• This ESS assessment???

, I think oktanol is poking fun at this ESS organisation on account of the ongoing "us vs. them" Brexit thing...?

• Today we did role playing exercises in groups.

The assessment criteria is not very autism friendly with eye contact being emphasised.

• This ESS assessment???  I was told. Is to assess my level of Maths and English.

Funny thing  is that that this learndirect organisation is also partly funded by the European social fund.  And I did a Maths and English assessment here last week with European social fund logos on the front of the test papers.

I wonder if both these assessments are the same with same test papers ?

• 'ESS assessment at MIND charity.  It's to do with their funding from the European social fund.

Oh, I see, this is the sinking ship scenario!

• What??? Why do they do something like this and what can they (and you) learn from it about people and how they would behave in more realistic scenarios? I mean, given all the H&S regulations in UK this should not be possible to happen. Think I would leave if given such a task, I wouldn't even want to hear other people's opinions because it would scare me.

• Glad Tidings and Thank You as I often write, and this may seem a little cold from me, but... *ahem*...

I say, steady on! I appreciate this Thread, yet you need not go into everything you do... although I recall the Title now, and it was "Daily Experience", and so I mostly say again to not Post unless you feel like it and not because of others including myself...

...And finally, again I finish a Post and wonder why I Posted it. I can't offer advice and I don't Chat so well and I get nervous. All of the others Posting here so far, I could not do that... Diversity, I suppose... in a Group situation, I nowadays just say nothing until actually pressured - or provoked - and... well, sorry, I close this Post now... *whimper*...

• My diary for next week.

Monday

Appointment with mental health employment advisor.

Appointment with job centre work coach.

Tuesday

All day with learndirect course

Thursday

Job fair at job centre.  Must attend, it's part of my jobsearch agreement.

Friday

'ESS assessment at MIND charity.  It's to do with their funding from the European social fund.

• I got no feedback about the tests.

Today's session was cancelled because staff were unavailable.

So it's tomorrow and next Tuesday.

The final assessment is going to be a group exercise where we are going to be spilt into small groups, given a scenario and we are then observed how we go about solving it.

A common test is a sinking ship, with maybe 12 people and a lifeboat that can only hold 6 people.  They give full details of the 12, their ages,  skills, etc.  Decide as a group which 6 to save.

• Greetings, and perhaps starting a new sub-Thread yet it is on topic with the Main Topic... and only one day to go...?

Concerning all that was listed in the introduction (maths, grammar, etc.), was this graded in some manner and did you "Ace" it, I should suspect? When given tests like this I simply get a sort of grumble or suspicious look, as if they are startled that I still know how to write correct English (at my age)...