This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Not Imagining and visualising

I'm keen to know of others experience of not being able to imagine or visualise. I can't image distance or number or space, I can't imagine how to change a room to make it look more appealing, I can't imagine what something will look like once it's tidy or how to go about changes, I can't imagine the future realistically ( I admire those that have 1year 2yr 5yr 10yr plans ahead)... 

Secondly what do I do to change this or does it matter if I can't? 

• Dear all community users,

The moderators have decided to lock this conversation as it is contravening the rules of the community:

'Rule 4 - Be nice to one another and enjoy chatting with others. We encourage conversation and respectful debate; however, insulting posts or comments making personal jibes will not be tolerated.'

Please note that the moderators are here to help and support all community users. If you would like to report any issues or if you have any questions about anything that is said on the community then you are welcome to contact us: community.manager@nas.org.uk 

We want to encourage a positive and an accepting community and rely on you, the community members, for this.

Messages that are marked as abusive, are taken seriously and dealt with appropriately.

Thank you for your understanding.

• The above comment has just been reported as abusive...

please read the forum rules.

bye

• JEP CAN YOU PLEASE STOP 

you are upsetting quite a few people here and I am really not sure what your purpose is on this forum....is it to create as much upset as possible???? Congratulations..you are succeeding and this is coming across as a character assassination  

We are obviously not worthy, we are beneath you and your understanding of ASD...people are on this forum for a myriad of reasons and your behaviour goes against the rules of the community to keep the environment as positive as possible.  There are also a number of vulnerable people here seeking support and guidance and do not need verbal aggression or insult to add to the issues that they are dealing with.

This is meant to be a supportive environment and NOT a blood sport! - if you don't like the thread....go elsewhere - please!

• So once again Misfit you are going on what you read. 

On another post 'Environment' you are talking about lies and fabrication. You brought this up. But that's the complete opposite to ASD. 

One minute you attach yourself to something and the next it's something else. 

• Good article...the section on "Social imagination" is particularly interesting.....and I can see how that apply to some and what may keep an individual on an unchanging and "safe" existence day to day and how a "flight or fight" response or meltdown my be triggered if parameters are changed.

I had a real cob-on at the weekend when my husband said we were going out to visit somewhere for a walk, then changed his mind mid-journey (the new destination was just as lovely)...and we ended up home two hours later than I was told we would be....FAR too many variables and not enough time to process this and resulting impact on a how being home 2 hours later would impact on my rigid evening regime.

• 'Rigid views', 'Classic'? you state.

For what reason have you brought this subject up? It's your responsibility to make your self clear and you have not. If you think I've been unpleasant and quite hurtful that's up to you. 

• That is entirely incorrect. You are entitled to your opinion and I don't feel I have to justify myself to you. You seem to have very rigid views which is classic I suppose but not very pleasant and quite hurtful. I wish you a good afternoon. 

• It comes across as if you are now placing yourself in a situation, described my Tom and it's now yours too. 

Quite honestly I don't think you are making that much sense at the moment. 

• It's what's called social imagination and is very much a feature of autism -social communication, social imagination and social interaction 

I read a thread of Toms about imaging distance and quantity, Ivthink he called it imagining a fortune.  then it was included In one of either Spotty Tortoise or Quirky's thread in the verbal instructions thread that there is a difference between telling someone to tidy their room and showing them what that means. I just linked the two ideas together and hadn't thought about it from that perspective at all. They are all the same to me.. visualising and planning and being able to see what the result could look like. 

• Misfit61 - I could not be more different. These are my strengths. It's in fact my job!

You've obviously brought this up for a reason. But it is not specific to ASD as far as I'm aware. And feel that's what you are asking? 

Then after describing how you can't change a room say 

Misfit61 said:
    I can't imagine the future realistically ( I admire those that have 1year 2yr 5yr 10yr plans ahead)... 

How is this related?