Psychiatry uk assessment - why the focus on childhood?? Partway through and likely to get discharged because I’ve not enough evidence as a kid?

As in the title really. I’m scoring high on self-diagnosis questionnaires and was referred at the advice of single point of access and my GP, but I don’t really remember that much about childhood as I’m 43 and my parents are nearly 80 so remember even less. My school reports focus entirely on how good I am at my subjects and give no background on me as a person. I have no siblings and no childhood friends. I’ve done a first assessment and have a follow up later this week and as all the questions focussed entirely on childhood apparently there’s little evidence of anything. Not sure why I’m putting this on really. I just feel a bit desperate as I thought I had started to understand myself a bit better but maybe not? Don’t they take anything from adulthood into account at all?

Parents
  • Seems a bit mad to me, I'd be in the same position as you, with little or nothing to show of my childhood. They really should take adulthood into account and show more understanding about the difficulties of assembling information from decades ago. They're also assuming that memories from parents will be acurate and supportive.

Maybe this is something you could bring up with them and maybe an advocate can do it too, maybe someone from NAS or MIND?

• Seems a bit mad to me, I'd be in the same position as you, with little or nothing to show of my childhood. They really should take adulthood into account and show more understanding about the difficulties of assembling information from decades ago. They're also assuming that memories from parents will be acurate and supportive.

Maybe this is something you could bring up with them and maybe an advocate can do it too, maybe someone from NAS or MIND?

Children
No Data