Perimenopause revealing my neurodiversity

Hello! I’m new to this site & reaching out to try to find answers & shared experiences. I’m 51 years old & struggling with perimenopause. I attend a fabulous seminar by the university of Bournemouth & Henpicked about menopause & neurodiversity 3 months ago & it’s like someone has thrown a bomb into my life (apologies for the violent reference). I realised I was neurodiverse. I was euphoric at first - what an epiphany- as it explained so much - why I struggled as a child & now. But now I’m thinking where do I go from here? I currently have 2 jobs - one with a lot of responsibility which I feel I am failing at. My anxiety is through the roof & I struggle hourly to contain it.  I live alone & so have to work at this level in order to support myself but all I’d like to do is give up work or find something with much less responsibility & that I can do independently (I currently manage a team of 7). But that isn’t possible unless I go back to a house share situation. I have pets so this isn’t possible & I like my space too much - & need it to avoid burnout. My question is this - is there support for those coming out as neurodivergent late in life particularly women & where? And is there support for highly functioning neurodivergents in high level roles. Help! Any suggestions, experiences, thoughts, gratefully received …

Parents
  • Are you sure it's perimenopause and not the real thing? I found perimenopause far harder to deal with than the menopause itself. My best advice would be to go and see a medical herbalist who can make you up a mixture tailored exactly to your specific needs, I did and I was amazed at all the niggles that weren't niggling anymore as well as perimenopause symptoms. There's lots of options that aren't hormonal for dealing with perimenopause and menopause, but you may have to look quite hard and do a bit of trial and error to find what works best for you.

Unfortunately we're the pioneer generation when it comes to menopause, there's not a lot of information out there, because nobodies done the research. Speaking with other women and women on here will help you feel supported. I believe there are some studies being done at a big hospital in London on the effects of menopause on autistic women.

• Are you sure it's perimenopause and not the real thing? I found perimenopause far harder to deal with than the menopause itself. My best advice would be to go and see a medical herbalist who can make you up a mixture tailored exactly to your specific needs, I did and I was amazed at all the niggles that weren't niggling anymore as well as perimenopause symptoms. There's lots of options that aren't hormonal for dealing with perimenopause and menopause, but you may have to look quite hard and do a bit of trial and error to find what works best for you.

Unfortunately we're the pioneer generation when it comes to menopause, there's not a lot of information out there, because nobodies done the research. Speaking with other women and women on here will help you feel supported. I believe there are some studies being done at a big hospital in London on the effects of menopause on autistic women.

Children
No Data