Struggling after being told I am not Autistic

Hi, I’m going to try and keep this short.

I recently had an assessment with Psychiatry UK where I was basically told I don’t struggle enough to have a diagnosis even though I do have autistic traits.

I have felt different my whole life and just cannot accept this as an answer. I am a woman in my early 20’s and I am aware of the fact that often women go undiagnosed because of outdated concepts as well as masking.

Has anyone else been in my situation before? And if so, how did you eventually get your diagnosis?

Thank you in advance, I’m feeling lost.

Parents
  • I recently came into the knowledge that I am neurodivergent. I was told that it would be really difficult to get an official diagnosis on the NHS, but having completed a great many self-tests and research on the spectrum, I am 100% convinced that I possess high-functioning autism. It has explained a lot of things about my behaviour, both currently and in the past, and I have found the whole experience to be liberating and validating. At this point I don't feel I need the 'official diagnosis' at all. There is enough empirical evidence for me to feel confident of what I have and who I am. 

If you feel that you have autistic traits and that everything you've read about it matches and explains your behaviour, then let that be enough for you. Official diagnoses are driven by criteria that is constantly shifting. False negatives are bound to occur. 

• I recently came into the knowledge that I am neurodivergent. I was told that it would be really difficult to get an official diagnosis on the NHS, but having completed a great many self-tests and research on the spectrum, I am 100% convinced that I possess high-functioning autism. It has explained a lot of things about my behaviour, both currently and in the past, and I have found the whole experience to be liberating and validating. At this point I don't feel I need the 'official diagnosis' at all. There is enough empirical evidence for me to feel confident of what I have and who I am. 

If you feel that you have autistic traits and that everything you've read about it matches and explains your behaviour, then let that be enough for you. Official diagnoses are driven by criteria that is constantly shifting. False negatives are bound to occur. 

Children
No Data