Masking

Hi, my name is Bree.

I'm new here and I would love to ask you about your experiences with masking as an autistic person, especially women and girls.

I mask pretty much whenever I am with any people. This is something I've been noticing more and more ever since I got diagnosed

Parents
  • Welcome to the community!

I'm so glad you're here and interested in discussing masking, it's something i find really interesting but don't understand all that well. Masking, or camouflaging autistic traits to fit in with neurotypical expectations, can be a complex and challenging experience for many individuals, especially for women and girls who may face unique societal pressures and expectations though it affects boys and men just as much. 

I mask pretty much all the time, more so when I'm out. If I'm talking to people, or in a shop, I know I'm masking to fit in and be accepted. By the time I get home I am absolutely wrecked! No energy, just need to rest in bed to recover.

Masking isn't a healthy thing to do but so many of us do it instinctively without even realising it at the time. I'm like this, the first I realise it is when I'm starting to feel the exhaustion like I've just run the London marathon. 

• Welcome to the community!

I'm so glad you're here and interested in discussing masking, it's something i find really interesting but don't understand all that well. Masking, or camouflaging autistic traits to fit in with neurotypical expectations, can be a complex and challenging experience for many individuals, especially for women and girls who may face unique societal pressures and expectations though it affects boys and men just as much. 

I mask pretty much all the time, more so when I'm out. If I'm talking to people, or in a shop, I know I'm masking to fit in and be accepted. By the time I get home I am absolutely wrecked! No energy, just need to rest in bed to recover.

Masking isn't a healthy thing to do but so many of us do it instinctively without even realising it at the time. I'm like this, the first I realise it is when I'm starting to feel the exhaustion like I've just run the London marathon. 

Children
No Data