Diagnosed with personality disorder before autism.

I am a women in my 50's.  A number of years ago I was diagnosed with a personality disorder.  After years of depression and meltdowns I finally got an assessment for autism.  I have had  private and nhs assessments which both conclude I am autistic.  Following an appointment today with mental health services it appears that the only route they want to go down is regarding my personality disorder which I feel was a misdiagnosis.  How do I get them to accept that this was a misdiagnosis and start to help me with my autistic difficulties>

Parents
  • I have had  private and nhs assessments which both conclude I am autistic. 

Did you have a full autism assessment (normally over an hour with lots of multiple choice tests) and a panel assessing you or was it a quick one on one meeting?

If it was the former then they should have given you a diagnosis and put it on your medical record,

If it was the latter then it is only an indication that you may need a full assessment so I would push your GP on booking one using the Right To Choose path to save waiting several years.

I would not expect them to offer much help post diagnosis however as this is not commonly done unless you have significant needs relating to it.

Post diagnosis support is largely down to you whether through learning about it yourself or seeking a private therapist.

• Both assessments were several appointments and with a panel of practitioners analysing my responses, my demeanour etc.  

• This diagnosis should have been added to your medical records so I would ask your doctor to challenge whoever said the diagnosis of autism was irrelevant and the personality disorder was the only one worth investigating.

Comparing the results of a panel of experts to an individual who may not even be qualified to the same level seems the way to go.

Possibly asking to see a psychiatrist with expertise in the field of neurodiversity is the best route forward as it is possible a combination or possibly poor diagnosis by one party or the other.

That would be my thoughts.

• This diagnosis should have been added to your medical records so I would ask your doctor to challenge whoever said the diagnosis of autism was irrelevant and the personality disorder was the only one worth investigating.

Comparing the results of a panel of experts to an individual who may not even be qualified to the same level seems the way to go.

Possibly asking to see a psychiatrist with expertise in the field of neurodiversity is the best route forward as it is possible a combination or possibly poor diagnosis by one party or the other.

That would be my thoughts.

Children
No Data