Psychiatry UK

Has anybody recently had an assessment with psychiatry uk and can advise what tools they use to diagnose? How was the assessment, what sort of things did they ask/do?

Thanks

Parents
  • I had it done recently. After I was added to their online portal they gave me some Microsoft Word .doc files for myself and an informant to fill in. They're pretty big and it took me a long time and I wrote a lot.

Afterwards I waited about 4 or 5 months they said I could book an appointment, which is done online with a tool where you can choose a specific doctor by name (and see their details or patient reviews) as well as the dates and times they were available, which might be 1-2 months away. So about 6-7 months until the appointment.

They asked my informant to fill out an online form, which wasn't particularly easy because it kept timing out and I do wonder if some of the answers had been lost because of that.

The actual diagnosis appointment was done over Microsoft Teams. I suspect what happens on that call wouldn't be the same for everyone, it depends on who is diagnosing, but in general they will probably want to get an idea about your childhood and your life, friends, how you cope, repetitive behaviours, sensory issues, and basically try to match it up with the diagnostic criteria, as well as rule out alternative explanations.

Afterwards they may give you a verbal diagnosis at the end of the call if they are confident, or they may want to go away and confer with colleagues. And then you wait ages for the written report.

• I had it done recently. After I was added to their online portal they gave me some Microsoft Word .doc files for myself and an informant to fill in. They're pretty big and it took me a long time and I wrote a lot.

Afterwards I waited about 4 or 5 months they said I could book an appointment, which is done online with a tool where you can choose a specific doctor by name (and see their details or patient reviews) as well as the dates and times they were available, which might be 1-2 months away. So about 6-7 months until the appointment.

They asked my informant to fill out an online form, which wasn't particularly easy because it kept timing out and I do wonder if some of the answers had been lost because of that.

The actual diagnosis appointment was done over Microsoft Teams. I suspect what happens on that call wouldn't be the same for everyone, it depends on who is diagnosing, but in general they will probably want to get an idea about your childhood and your life, friends, how you cope, repetitive behaviours, sensory issues, and basically try to match it up with the diagnostic criteria, as well as rule out alternative explanations.

Afterwards they may give you a verbal diagnosis at the end of the call if they are confident, or they may want to go away and confer with colleagues. And then you wait ages for the written report.

Children
No Data