About to go to GP to ask for assessment - Worried

Hi, I am new here. I am a 60 year old woman and I have a GP appointment in 11 days to ask if I can be referred for an autistic assessment but really worried about what will happen? I’ve struggled with things all my life relationships social and romantic have been a complete car crash. I have had very few friends over the years, preferred to be on my own, found learning at school impossible (I think I have undiagnosed learning difficulties as well). I also have obsessions. What worries me is that I’ve learned to mask things over the years and can do some ‘small talk’ but only really if it’s one on one. Also my obsessions have mostly been with celebrities and tv shows but some objects as well. I am worried that the assessor will say that these things aren’t autistic traits in which case what do I do if he/she says it’s anxiety? I tried to get assessed in 2004, the GP back then wasn’t that helpful and only put me in touch with the practice counsellor who would only give an informal diagnosis she said I had ‘traits of dyspraxia overlapping with Asperger’s’. It has since been confirmed that I do have dyspraxia.

My only son aged 28 who lives with me is the same as me and probably worse. He really dislikes being around people and won’t even use a phone, his time is taken up with a few special interests. My brother has bipolar and another family member has OCD.

Any advice as to what happens in the assessment process would be really appreciated. I am just so worried in case they don’t take me seriously and say I just have anxiety or depression.

Parents
  • Hi I agree with Kate, make sure you’re prepared. Write a list of reasons you think you need assessment and try and do some online tests as well if you haven’t already AQ-50 (The GP may ask you to fill out the AQ-10 but I don’t think this is as good as they think for screening women) the RAADS-R test is quite a good one as well. https://embrace-autism.com has links and explanations. If you provide as much evidence as possible including the informal diagnosis then hopefully they will agree to refer you but be prepared for a long wait, it’s years in my area unless you can afford thousands to go private. 

• Hi I agree with Kate, make sure you’re prepared. Write a list of reasons you think you need assessment and try and do some online tests as well if you haven’t already AQ-50 (The GP may ask you to fill out the AQ-10 but I don’t think this is as good as they think for screening women) the RAADS-R test is quite a good one as well. https://embrace-autism.com has links and explanations. If you provide as much evidence as possible including the informal diagnosis then hopefully they will agree to refer you but be prepared for a long wait, it’s years in my area unless you can afford thousands to go private. 

Children
No Data