6 year old girl with 'anxiety and attatchment issues'

We have just had a letter rejecting our daughter's referral at the triage level. 

They are recommending self referral through SPACE wellbeing, which is what we started with 18months ago.... 

I am at such a loss.... i feel like ive either completely misread my daughter and she is just showing really challenging behaviour,  or the system has failed us and have completely missed what the referral was trying to express.

What do I do now????? Apart from goo back round in circles Rolling eyes

Parents
  • Thank you Iain. 

They may also be able to recommend ways to get the help you need from schools SENCO.

In the meantime it would be worth documenting what you can from your experience

We have a meeting set up with the ALENCO and her class teacher this week. We also have her closing feedback meeting with her play therapist that she had about 20 sessions with, so hopefully between them they'll help direct our energies. 

I have started keeping a more specific diary of daily happenings as I learnt the hard way that retrospectively trying to describe her behaviours to someone is really hard! A kind of 'where do I start' feeling!

Did they give any detail on their reasons for the rejection?

There was a table in the letter which seemed very nonspecific. 

It is quite possible she is just not autistic "enough" to meet their criteria

I definitely think that the fact she is accessing education and is generally getting on with life means she is low on the very long priority list. I know they are so so overloaded with cases, and I guess they just have to direct their resources to those who need it most. I just wish that the letter was honest and upfront if that's the case!! As otherwise it has you burying your head in all sorts of mind games of self doubt and worry.  

Thanks so much for the words of support and advice. 

Katie

• There was a table in the letter which seemed very nonspecific

Reply Children