Autism and ADHD combined

I was diagnosed as autistic yesterday (42, female), but the psychiatrist was convinced I had combined ASD/ADHD traits and he explained that that has meant a lot of individual traits are hidden by the other (eg I have an aversion to change but get bored easily). I feel like I’m constantly at war with myself. My psychiatrist said that if I took ADHD meds the ASD traits would become more evident and he’s referred me for this assessment also.

The difficulty is I have a lot of anxiety around my diagnosis because I was on the threshold of ASD –  I prefer to be alone but I can be social and have learned to make eye contact now I’m older and don’t feel uncomfortable if it’s people I know well (though I can’t hold a gaze). I feel I tick so many boxes for each condition but not all of them and I am very high functioning - the psychiatrist said i am good at masking.

At the end of my assessment the psychiatrist asked if I’d like him to put ‘autistic traits’ and wait for an adhd assessment before confirming the autism diagnosis (to see it the meds revealed more traits) and I didn’t know what to say (because a lot of my issues are also processing information on the spot which made the assessment difficult). He said he was convinced I was autistic so gave me a diagnosis but now I feel really anxious it’s the wrong diagnosis.

Has anyone else on here got both? I wondered how this presented for you and what you’ve found helpful. I feel like no one would believe me if I said I had either condition (I’m too much of a planner’ to be adhd but too disordered to be ASD). I can also be very chatty when nervous or speaking about my special interest but get burnout after social occasions.

• Just to say you don't need to have all the traits of ADHD to get a diagnosis.

In theory, you need to tick 6+ out of 9 options in the 'inattentive' subgroup criteria*, and/or 6+ out of 9 options in the hyperactive subgroup criteria - but the assessment interview will often shed far more light on your longstanding challenges and traits.  

It's also worth pointing out that the criteria were drawn up based predominantly on traits observed in boys - so if you're an adult female, so some of them are irrelevant (eg, gets up out of seat and moves around when not expected to do so) - we might never have done them, being female, or we might have done when as children but have learned over time to control our urges (eg if you're in a meeting with several others, you might end up swinging your leg or grinding your teeth instead).

I'd do some research, a make a list of the traits that apply to you now and also when you were a child, with specific examples; ditto for the traits that you don't feel apply.  Then you can take that along with you if/when you go for assessment.

Good luck!

(*apols; can't think what this list is called; it's a standard part of the diagnostic process for ADHD)

• Thank you for posting this....it's interesting.  People seem to vary greatly in their ADD meds experience...in relation to their autistic manifestations.

May I ask.....is it troublesome that your behaviours now seem more overtly autistic?  Is it very noticeable?

No need to answer nor acknowledge if you would rather not say.

Kind regards.

Number

• That’s interesting - my psychiatrist said that would be the case if I took meds. Have you still felt the meds are worth it or is the increase in autistic traits causing you more difficulties? I’m interested to know how you’re adapting to the changes in yourself.

• Thank you for posting this. I was diagnosed last year at 61 with ADD, and autism last month. This is exactly me. Since I started on my ADD meds, my autism has come to the fore. 

• Thank you for posting this. I was diagnosed last year at 61 with ADD, and autism last month. This is exactly me. Since I started on my ADD meds, my autism has come to the fore. 

• Thanks so much. I feel much more at peace about myself a few months since diagnosis, but I’ve still only told my husband. I’ve been following a lot of people who have both ADHD&ASD and I relate so much to #audhd content so it’s made me feel less alone in it. It’s really interesting about hormonal impact as I’ve been to the drs so many times over the years about severe PMT. I’m not quite at menopause so I’m dreading that. I’ve been taking saffron tablets after some research on it being beneficial for ADHD & anxiety and it’s really been helping. 

• Of course, with previous versions of DSM, ADHD was effectively a diagnosis that required the exclusion of other conditions. The recognition of comorbid autism and ADHD as an official diagnosis is relatively new.  I did meet a kid about twenty five years who had a diagnosis of ADHD and Aspergers, but at that time the dual diagnosis was still fairly controversial.

• Thanks for resurrecting this thread.....it's a goodun...and

Many of us here are interested to hear of "actual" feelings, beliefs, intuitions and behaviours of our tribe.....just as much (if not more so than) what the DSM, ICD and white coats "tell" us.

Thanks for sharing.

• Has anyone else on here got both?

Present and accounted for.
    Also same:

a lot of individual traits are hidden by the other (eg I have an aversion to change but get bored easily). I feel like I’m constantly at war with myself. 
  • There is a big hormonal impact on ADHD, less oestrogen means less dopamine

This is interesting and worth looking more into.

Lately, there seem to be more people appearing in general and on these pages who say they present with both which makes me wonder if it's more common than we think. It kind of makes sense to explain my contradcitory life experiences, some of which don't seem to get any easier especially with additional health matters. Once again, this thread throws up for myself more questions than answers!

• Yes, it's an interesting combination. The autistic part of me wants to have everything in perfect order, and the ADHD part says " Yes, I'll put everything away tomorrow ... maybe."

• Hi, not sure if you are still following replies to this - I have ADHD and autism diagnoses (at 54).  I wasn't surprised by the autism diagnosis but I did not see the ADHD one coming.  Because the autistic traits of being ordered, and focused were (in a very unscientific description) countering the ADHD ones.  

It is worth noting that the possibility of having both diagnoses was essentially ruled out until the DSM V guidelines were changed in 2012 to 'allow' it.

There is a big hormonal impact on ADHD, less oestrogen means less dopamine, and so ADHD might not be really noticeable until menopause, or has been part of PMS (or PMDD  - worth googling the links with ADHD).

You are probably familiar with the #AuDHD which is really useful on Instagram/Twitter etc and then put it in the context of women and a whole world of resources will appear!  Purple Ella is quite active on Insta and could be useful.

I know that many of the people I have worked with would not believe that I have both.  But it doesn't matter.  You can have both - and I have come to realise the challenges and personal costs of dealing with both of them until you are 54.  Good luck with what you do now.

• It definitely sounds like ADHD as I’m similar. I also have discslculia so there are so many neurodivergent cross overs! The rest of my family are dyslexic (and suspected adhd). I just could never explain my shyness, sensitivity or aversion to change with adhd so I guess the combination makes sense. I hope you can get an assessment and it helps you - i think the main things is that we know deep down who we are and can put strategies in to help.

• I related to the all the traits you have mentions and I was diagnosed ASD last year (aged 23) but it never explained the reasons for daydreaming, getting bored all the time but then not doing much as I havent planned it, as am studying (or trying) I procrastinate like really bad and then dont get the work dont (then the autism kicks in and my anxiety goes through the roof then cant study either) and others. I have been wondering about ADHD for a while now as I meet some of the requirements and have a doctors appointment booked to talk this through with the doctor soon.

I also have dyslexia so I am pretty sure Neurodiversities regularly cross over, as each neurodiverse brain is different.

• i was recently diagnosed with autism and have had recommendations to be referred for adhd  as there was alot in my assessment which also pointed to that .

It is true that I'm often conflicted with myself because ofbthe way the traits interact.  But i know why now  and feel better about myself and hope you can too with time Cherry blossom

• Hello 85499, I am Number.

I am a decidedly confused, convoluted dichotomous and occasionally dangerous mix of AD and Autist.  I have the added spice of a PDA profile.

My advice is....don't bother yourself with how others wish to categorise or subdivide your being or essence (to steal from Alan Watts - who stole from Buddha) that is a futile as trying to bite your own teeth.

The key, I think,is to travel this journey we are on, without loosing our sheet and sanity in the process.  Simples..........NOT !

• I just wanted to say, it doesn’t matter who believes you. A professional has stated their case. You fit the criteria. What you need to do is realise both ASD and ADHD affects people differently. And you won’t have all the listed criteria. In fact, you will probably have lots of the traits that are listed on the internet. The fact is, you have some issues. And these issues have always been there, and won’t ever go away. That’s not a bad thing. Hopefully now you can start to work out what helps you the most, and practice lots of self care. 
    oh, and my daughter, nearly 19 has both.

• Thank you. I also hide away and don’t answer calls/messages - I’ve come to accept I can’t force myself to do much or I suffer headaches and further exhaustion or illness. I do a lot of drawing which calms me - I find listening to music at the same time and occupying two or more senses with positive things provides good distraction from my overthinking. I mainly focus on preventing them now - I avoid scheduling more than one social or public thing a week (such as work meetings/presentations) if I can help it. Thankfully I work for myself so I can schedule time in (often put an out of office on and turn off my phone). When I worked in an office I would rarely do things on evenings or weekends.  Having family that allows you space and acceptance is so valuable – sounds like you are doing a great job.

• I'm at the beginning of your journey with my daughter who sounds just like yourself,I hope you find the answers you're looking for and if I may ask how do you manage your burn outs as my daughter in the midst of something and hasn't left her room since the weekend? Xx

• Hi KJ! Thanks for the introduction. Wave