Autism and ADHD combined

I was diagnosed as autistic yesterday (42, female), but the psychiatrist was convinced I had combined ASD/ADHD traits and he explained that that has meant a lot of individual traits are hidden by the other (eg I have an aversion to change but get bored easily). I feel like I’m constantly at war with myself. My psychiatrist said that if I took ADHD meds the ASD traits would become more evident and he’s referred me for this assessment also.

The difficulty is I have a lot of anxiety around my diagnosis because I was on the threshold of ASD –  I prefer to be alone but I can be social and have learned to make eye contact now I’m older and don’t feel uncomfortable if it’s people I know well (though I can’t hold a gaze). I feel I tick so many boxes for each condition but not all of them and I am very high functioning - the psychiatrist said i am good at masking.

At the end of my assessment the psychiatrist asked if I’d like him to put ‘autistic traits’ and wait for an adhd assessment before confirming the autism diagnosis (to see it the meds revealed more traits) and I didn’t know what to say (because a lot of my issues are also processing information on the spot which made the assessment difficult). He said he was convinced I was autistic so gave me a diagnosis but now I feel really anxious it’s the wrong diagnosis.

Has anyone else on here got both? I wondered how this presented for you and what you’ve found helpful. I feel like no one would believe me if I said I had either condition (I’m too much of a planner’ to be adhd but too disordered to be ASD). I can also be very chatty when nervous or speaking about my special interest but get burnout after social occasions.

Parents
  • I related to the all the traits you have mentions and I was diagnosed ASD last year (aged 23) but it never explained the reasons for daydreaming, getting bored all the time but then not doing much as I havent planned it, as am studying (or trying) I procrastinate like really bad and then dont get the work dont (then the autism kicks in and my anxiety goes through the roof then cant study either) and others. I have been wondering about ADHD for a while now as I meet some of the requirements and have a doctors appointment booked to talk this through with the doctor soon.

I also have dyslexia so I am pretty sure Neurodiversities regularly cross over, as each neurodiverse brain is different.

• Just to say you don't need to have all the traits of ADHD to get a diagnosis.

In theory, you need to tick 6+ out of 9 options in the 'inattentive' subgroup criteria*, and/or 6+ out of 9 options in the hyperactive subgroup criteria - but the assessment interview will often shed far more light on your longstanding challenges and traits.  

It's also worth pointing out that the criteria were drawn up based predominantly on traits observed in boys - so if you're an adult female, so some of them are irrelevant (eg, gets up out of seat and moves around when not expected to do so) - we might never have done them, being female, or we might have done when as children but have learned over time to control our urges (eg if you're in a meeting with several others, you might end up swinging your leg or grinding your teeth instead).

I'd do some research, a make a list of the traits that apply to you now and also when you were a child, with specific examples; ditto for the traits that you don't feel apply.  Then you can take that along with you if/when you go for assessment.

Good luck!

(*apols; can't think what this list is called; it's a standard part of the diagnostic process for ADHD)

• Just to say you don't need to have all the traits of ADHD to get a diagnosis.

In theory, you need to tick 6+ out of 9 options in the 'inattentive' subgroup criteria*, and/or 6+ out of 9 options in the hyperactive subgroup criteria - but the assessment interview will often shed far more light on your longstanding challenges and traits.  

It's also worth pointing out that the criteria were drawn up based predominantly on traits observed in boys - so if you're an adult female, so some of them are irrelevant (eg, gets up out of seat and moves around when not expected to do so) - we might never have done them, being female, or we might have done when as children but have learned over time to control our urges (eg if you're in a meeting with several others, you might end up swinging your leg or grinding your teeth instead).

I'd do some research, a make a list of the traits that apply to you now and also when you were a child, with specific examples; ditto for the traits that you don't feel apply.  Then you can take that along with you if/when you go for assessment.

Good luck!

(*apols; can't think what this list is called; it's a standard part of the diagnostic process for ADHD)

Children
No Data