Daughters GP appointment

Hi everyone,

I've not been on for a long while so I hope everyone is well.

I have a question regarding my daughter's appointment with her GP coming up.  Do you think I should write a list of troubles/struggles for when I have the appointment or should I just go and reel everything off what's going on there and then?

I was diagnosed 5 years ago and seeing my daughter already struggling in school and certain teachers getting angry with her and calling her slow really annoys me because I've lived that life at that age too.

I suppose the most annoying thing for me and my wife was that two years ago we filled a sheet of paper in which the school gave us, we handed it in being told it will be forwarded to the nearest referral place and to our astonishment have only just found out she has not been placed on the waiting list all along.

Anyway any advice would be very much appreciated.

• Each time I took my children to GPs, they were the same - it's so sad that we are trying to get them the help and support they need, but we are looked down upon, even by professionals. It's bad enough with general folk in society, but when you can't even have faith in your own GP to listen and understand, it makes things worse. 
    I'm glad you got the referral in the end. We ended up going private with my eldest and we are still on the waiting list after over 4 years now, for my youngest son... The battles! Urgh!

• No problem Roy, and thank you for your reply too.

• I had the same thing in maths at school, I would get to the correct answer but do it in a different way to the teacher, the teacher would struggle to see why I did it differently or more likely my way was simpler and worked. With your daughters appointment I would make some notes, it’s so easy to freeze and not remember things. Thank you for your kind reply yesterday.

• I wonder if the school high regard for itself is part of the problem? Maybe they feel it's beneath them to have special needs pupils? Schools like this often ahve unacknowleged bullying problems too.

• Hi The Catwoman,

It's very frustrating to us as parents as we have told the school on numerous occasions we think she maybe autistic just like myself.

The frustrating thing for me as a child growing up in school is although I would finally understand what was being teached in my own time, it would also need to be explained in a different way for me to understand compared to my classmates. 

I often remember talking to my dad about maths questions and he would explain it to me and I would think why didn't they explain it that way in class. So frustrating.

Unfortunately for all that the School places itself in high regard, they certainly don't take what we have said in the past seriously enough to help our daughter.

• I would like to thank everyone of you for taking your time to reply to my post.  After reading every reply, I will certainly use the advice moving forward.

• Yes, i would write down what i want to say. I hope it goes well x

• This sort of thingmakes me so angry, I was always being told 'I could do better' at school and that I was slow, autism hadn't been heard of then and now that theres so much awareness of it theres no excuse for the way your daughters school is behaving. I would try and write a very formal letter of complaint about the lack of promised referal to both the head teacher and board of governers and the effect this is having on your daughter both educationally and personally. I'd certainly  tell the GP of this adn the problems it's caused and is causing, ask them to refer your daughter immediately. Try and remain calm and reasonable but be clear in what you're asking for and why, take a list with you if it helps.

• Definitely write a list. Keep going back to it with anything else that you think of, then take it with you.

It'll help remind you of things you might forget in the moment.

Good luck!

• Personally I would take a list to refer to. The first time I took my son the doctor spoke to me like I was a parent who couldn't manage to parent correctly. We did get a referral from another doctor and the assessor told us when diagnosed that there was no doubt. I find it easier personally to manage getting things across if I have something to refer to. I hope it goes well and she gets referred.