Toileting

Has anyone else had big problens getting their child toilet trained? Did you get there in the end and how did you do it please?  My Sons seven we’ve tried everything but it’s his biggest challenge.

Parents
  • Hey! 

My son is 4, non verbal ( no communication boards used ) and I thought he would never toilet train but he is now fully toilet trained and the only non verbal child in his SEN class to be trained.

As I said I thought he would never train, I only even thought of attempting it when I noticed randomly he was dry when napping (which he doesn't do often) and mentioned it to a friend who said it might be time to try.

I decided to attempt it the same way I did my NT child but with a few little changes. I started with letting him be no nappy and observing him, looking for what his signs of needing the toilet are, once you have learnt this, its alot easier. I introduced the toilet by taking him a few times per hour and roughly working out how.long to leave a gap before taking him again. I stopped putting a nappy on him at bedtime and he was dry at night before my NT child.was.

He would not use a potty as the wee splashed back on him or a child's toilet seat.. I purchased him a little boys wee catcher from amazon, so if I missed a sign or couldn't get him to the toilet quickly he could wee in that - which my carpets are thankful for! 

• Hey! 

My son is 4, non verbal ( no communication boards used ) and I thought he would never toilet train but he is now fully toilet trained and the only non verbal child in his SEN class to be trained.

As I said I thought he would never train, I only even thought of attempting it when I noticed randomly he was dry when napping (which he doesn't do often) and mentioned it to a friend who said it might be time to try.

I decided to attempt it the same way I did my NT child but with a few little changes. I started with letting him be no nappy and observing him, looking for what his signs of needing the toilet are, once you have learnt this, its alot easier. I introduced the toilet by taking him a few times per hour and roughly working out how.long to leave a gap before taking him again. I stopped putting a nappy on him at bedtime and he was dry at night before my NT child.was.

He would not use a potty as the wee splashed back on him or a child's toilet seat.. I purchased him a little boys wee catcher from amazon, so if I missed a sign or couldn't get him to the toilet quickly he could wee in that - which my carpets are thankful for! 

Children
No Data