siblings

I am very to close and have always being very involved in the care of my brother with autism and I just wanted to ask if there are any other siblings on here who have similiar experiences or to ask parents how involved are your children who are not on the spectrum with their sibling(s) who are?

I have found that there seems to be more awareness of autism now than when I was growing up so I also wanted to ask how do you explain what autism is? This was something I found difficult to explain as a child to other children so just out of interest I would like to know what your experiences with dealing with this are.

Parents
  • Hi Amy,

Thank you so much, its very difficult as my daughter has a 6 month old baby too, so that draws even more attention to her, my younger daughter feels just like that, I was telling her about the forum, I think she would benefit from taking a look, so i will show her later. As she has got older she has expressed her feelings to me, because Faye can say some quite hurtful things at times, with no idea that this hurts people, and Charlotte takes it to heart.

I dread it when faye wants to go out, as the few friends she has wouldn't be my choice for her, that all goes back to school, she attended a special unit, with her high awareness of 'being different' she was introduced to mainstream school toom late, so she came out of school with no girl friends. Charlotte of course doesn't want to take her with her friends as she says it doesn't feel right. Char is 16, maybe she will become a little more tolerant as she gets older,

I already feel better talking to someone who knows where we are coming from,

Thanks amy x

• Hi Amy,

Thank you so much, its very difficult as my daughter has a 6 month old baby too, so that draws even more attention to her, my younger daughter feels just like that, I was telling her about the forum, I think she would benefit from taking a look, so i will show her later. As she has got older she has expressed her feelings to me, because Faye can say some quite hurtful things at times, with no idea that this hurts people, and Charlotte takes it to heart.

I dread it when faye wants to go out, as the few friends she has wouldn't be my choice for her, that all goes back to school, she attended a special unit, with her high awareness of 'being different' she was introduced to mainstream school toom late, so she came out of school with no girl friends. Charlotte of course doesn't want to take her with her friends as she says it doesn't feel right. Char is 16, maybe she will become a little more tolerant as she gets older,

I already feel better talking to someone who knows where we are coming from,

Thanks amy x

Children
No Data