Online parenting courses

Our daughter (13) was recently diagnosed and we have been struggling with managing her behaviour all her life really but in particular since she’s been a teen. The school have recommended looking at parenting courses to help us manage, can anyone recommend a good one. We’re looking in particular for one specific to girls/teenagers if such a thing exists

• Hello NAS87751,

I'm not sure if NAS offers any parenting courses and I'll ask them about it. In the meantime, you could watch or read the transcript of this interview with Sarah Wild about 'Educating Autistic Girls'. Here is the link: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/educating-autistic-girls

All the best,

Karin Mod

• I don't have any firsthand experience to offer advice from but I do have an extensive library of books on autism and found the following which may help you. I would recommend looking them up on Amazon and reading the reviews to see if they sound good to you.

Asperger's Syndrome - A Guide for Parents and Professionals - Tony Attwood (2008)
    ISBN 9781843106692

Asperger's Syndrome - A Guide to Helping Your Child Thrive at Home and at School - Melinda Docter, Ed.D._ Syed Naqvi, MD (2010)
    ISBN 9780470140147

Aspergirls - empowering females with Asperger Syndrome - Rudy Simone (2012)
    ISBN 9781849058261

CBT Toolbox for Children and Adolescents - Over 220 Worksheets & Exercises for Trauma, ADHD, Autism, Anxiety, Depression & Conduct Disorders - Lisa Phifer, Amanda Crowder, Tracy Elsenraat, Robert Hull
    ISBN 9781683730750

Everyday activities to help your young child with autism live life to the full - Debra S Jacobs, Dion E Betts
    ISBN 9781849052382

Teaching Pre-Employment Skills to 14–17-Year-Olds - The Autism Works Now Method - Joanne Lara, Susan Osborne, Temple Grandin (2017)
    no ISBN info in book

The Aspie Girl's Guide to Being Safe with Men - The Unwritten Safety Rules No-one is Telling You - Debi Brown (2012)
    ISBN 9781849053549

The Loving Push - How Parents and Professionals Can Help Spectrum Kids Become Successful Adults - Debra Moore, PhD, Temple Grandin, PhD (2016)
    ISBN 9781941765203

Women and Girls with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Understanding Life Experiences from Early Childhood to Old Age - Sarah Hendrickx, Judith Gould (2015)
    ISBN 9781849055475

I hope something in that lot helps.

Please come back and ask if there are any specific questions you have as your request is pretty broad in scope.

Good luck.