Do You Think High and Low-functioning Should Be Used?

I prefer to use autism or ASD because I believe high and low-functioning autism creates a false perception of The Autism Spectrum. To me and I imagine many others, low-functioning and high-functioning create the image of a horizontal line with one side saying "most autistic" and the other side saying "least autistic", especially since I hear people say "end of the spectrum." 

I see The Autism Spectrum as more of a circle divided with each section representing a difficulty, with the individual in the centre having a variation of difficulties with differing levels of severity to one another. Like someone described as low-functioning may be able to walk through shops with no oversensitivity while someone described as high-functioning can have a higher level of severity in sensory processing that it's too hard and not be able to.

Do you think we should avoid the use of high and low-functioning as they're not clinical terms anyway?

• I saw an advert from a charity, I think it is Street Kids, to sponsor them building a school in Africa and loved the idea. Far beyond what I can pay now of course! But you can name it after someone as a memorial, I would name it after my parents as they were both teachers. One day, when I'm rich!

• being high on canabis sounds so much better than being high on autism lol

• I've found that this labels you. If you're high you're on your own, no support. If your low you get all the help but are considered different or retarded. People use these to label you. I prefer just Autism rather than high or low. 

• I think that there is, in general and in clinical thought, a lot of confusion between what impairments are caused directly by autism, what are caused by the interaction between autistic people and neurotypical society, and what are caused by comorbidities. For example, are the difficulties that some autistics, that might be considered 'low functioning', face caused by 'more severe autism', or by comorbid intellectual and cognitive impairments? It isn't a question that I have found to be addressed in any meaningful way.

• It's bad really cause if your deemed as high functioning then you get like zero support but if your low functioning you get lots of support and help. Really it should be the same for both. If your autistic, high or low, you should get the same treatment. 

• I prefer the term Autistic. It's annoying because when you're high you get people telling you you're not really Autistic... I'm just good at masking and hiding it. If people could walk a mile in my shoes they would see. 

• Which one? People with 80 iq who can look after them selves or 120 who can’t?

• Yes and to the outside I probably come across as 1+. (If 0 is the boundary and AS is minus). I think this is a type of masking, it doesn't just have to be about the social. But that's a story for another day.

• u arent a fraud ----- you  cross the functional boundaries between NT and Autism thats all.  Some days you function well and some you dont.   

other autistic people have level 2 and level 3 support needs and yes you are more fortunate than them. 

I  am level 1.5 because some days I am low ( 2.0 )  some days i am fine ( 1.0 )  so i consider myself to be  between.

You may be the same.  

EF = Executive Function  (my big weakness Slight smile )

• I'm reading this thread with interest as today I've felt a bit like a fraud. A fraud as NT and a fraud as AS. I met a friend I haven't seen for a long time and...it went ok. I feel like I passed but I also feel like I'm not autistic. I keep questioning my diagnosis. On days like today I don't feel "autistic enough" to be telling my friend I'm on the spectrum, (altho I did).  Its when words like "Aspergers", are used although it's on my report, I feel like it gets brushed aside a bit "oh you're ok, it's only Aspergers it's not full blown autism" (this was not said btw). I feel a bit uncomfortable sometimes because I do not have the difficulties for instance, that another friend's son has who goes to an SEN school. I suppose I feel like I don't deserve a badge of autism. I know on a different day I will be saying the opposite and that I feel it's as clear as day that I'm on the spectrum. Possibly it's been more EF difficulties this week as opposed to social. 

I don't know how helpful high or low functioning is. But I know there are a lot of other people on the spectrum who need more support than I do. I think it's useful when allocating support on a needs basis.

• i love the education in africa idea  --- i would do that as well ( if i had a million )

• I would buy a big house near the seaside in Dorset and move my family there. I'd probably have a holiday home in Spain or Italy too, I might move us there, it depends on how things go in Britain in future.

I'd financially help out people who have helped me in life (NOT people who just happen to be relatives)

Then I'd give money to charities for bereaved and/or homeless children and sponsor a school in Africa.

• my boyfriend falls somewhere in the middle i think, he can take care of himself but struggles to communicate and it's extremely obvious, i will 

• yes that would be true  but they can burst through,,, which really woke me up.

i feel very uncomfortable boxing someone else because of this book.

this book ( i have read it )  is brilliant. it is written one character at a time from an alphabet card

buy it and read it u wont regret it it alll about the feeling and thoughts of a severely autistic boy.

www.amazon.co.uk/.../ref=sr_1_1

• i assume the difference is low functioning people simply never have periods of high functioning? my severely autistic brother could definitely attest to that

• oh a Tesla Car -- 

i would build some social housing. 4 - 5 house but with big gardens.

then  i would retire to Italy.  I would move my entire family there  

and you what would u spend your millions on Slight smile

• What shall we spend our first millions on then Aidie? Joy 

• edit: as in professionals focusing on my iq.. fun fact my iq couldn't actually be calculated to an approximate number

• that hasn't been my experience lol