At breaking point

Hello, I am the mother of an 11 tear old with Asperger's who was diagnosed when he was four. Frankly I feel like I can't carry on. He behaves wonderfully at school and has found the transition to high school much easier than we had hoped. At home he is a nightmare (but not all the time). He swears incessantly (I think he likes the sound of the words), argues, and when he gets angry he bangs doors and kicks the furniture. He can't amuse himself very often. He has never has a friend and relies on me and my husband for constant entertainment. He likes to play on video games but gets extremely cross with them when he can't do something.  He won't play out. He is grumpy and rude a lot of the time. I find him infuriating. He soils himself, wets the bed and won't go to the toilet at aone. The only advice anyone ever gives is "Write a social story" These don't work. I am sick to death of the whole situation and can't really see the point of anything - is this going to be the rest of my life. I fantasise about running away with my daughter but am not quite horrible enough to do that. I know I should just focus on him but I just don't know how to help.

Has anyone else ever felt like giving up?

Parents
  • Yes I guess we all feel like that at times, my sons the opposite to yours - incessant problems with school and fine at home!  Sometimes I just want to bury my head in the sand and hope it will all be a bad dream, then I feel awful for even thinking like that!

At least we are able to "talk" about it here in privacy and hopefully that helps,  reading the posts on here has certainly made me feel happier(?) or perhaps comforted is a better word that we are not alone in this, and that our sons behaviour at school is not unusual (very very sad but true).

Take care, hope you have a better week this week

• Yes I guess we all feel like that at times, my sons the opposite to yours - incessant problems with school and fine at home!  Sometimes I just want to bury my head in the sand and hope it will all be a bad dream, then I feel awful for even thinking like that!

At least we are able to "talk" about it here in privacy and hopefully that helps,  reading the posts on here has certainly made me feel happier(?) or perhaps comforted is a better word that we are not alone in this, and that our sons behaviour at school is not unusual (very very sad but true).

Take care, hope you have a better week this week

Children
No Data