Help - How to communicate with my step-son

My step-son is showing signs for Asperger's and I am not sure how to communicate effectively with him.

He is 23 living at home. Has a good job in IT. 

Parents
  • If he's like me he probably likes clear requests. Don't say: my your room is a mess, better say: I really want you to clean your room, it's important, you risk to make stains that diminish the value of the house...

I used to live by the morality: treat others like you wish to be treated yourself. This turned out to be a big mistake, the way I like to be treated is by most people considered to be very rude. 

If he has a good job in IT, he's probably very tired and would rather not be communicated with much. Be kind, make sure to count him in but don't expect him to tell you about his life much. I spent my time mostly in my room playing games... or programming... 

• What computer languages have you programmed in? I’ve done a bit of Visual Basic, Dark Basic, Python, C++ in the past. It’s been a long time since I did any but I have different interests now.

• Lately in my new job I write stored procedures and scripts in SQL Server (microsoft).

I've mostly worked in banks on mainframe, written PL/1 (mainframe), MFEE, a cobol generator, also mainframe,

For a short while (18 months) I worked in a smaller company, there it was Powerbuilder, Visual Basic and PL/SQL (oracle).

• Oh that sounds interesting. It is something I would enjoy hearing more about in person. Maybe one day the staff that run this website can arrange an event where some of us could meet in a safe environment. 

Reply Children
No Data