Autism and Romance.

My son is nearly 30. He was diagnosed as having autism when he was 6. He has done really well and now lives independently about 100 miles away from me ( I live in a remote area). He has carved out a life for himself volunteering and attending classes. He has one male friend whom he met at college and they keep in regular contact. However my son would dearly love to have a special woman in his life and cannot get over the hurdles to meeting someone that his autism presents. I am really not trying to matchmake ( yes I am) but If any parent is, like me, heartsore for their lonely child and knows a lovely young woman on the spectrum, please reply. 

Parents Reply Children
  • Hopefully, the right person will come along in time.

• Hello and thank you for your replies. I am glad to hear about your happy relationships but just a quick look through these forums shows the level of isolation and loneliness experienced by many autistic people despite tremendous efforts on their part to meet a loving partner. My son has tried dating sites, attended classes, gone to group meetings and suffered through evenings in pubs completely out of his comfort zone and has yet to have his first date. Hence my heartfelt plea. I dearly wish that he could be as lucky in love as you are, and yes, if you know a lovely young woman not on the spectrum who would like to meet my son  that would be great too!