Can GPs prescribe?

Evening All

I would like to look into medication to help with my son's explosive outbursts. He is upset that he cannot control them and I am increasingly concerned about our families safety as he is now bigger and heavier than me.

To add to this, my mental health is suffering as a result of the unpredictable (or sometimes predictable but unpreventable) anger. I want to go to our GP asap and ask for help. I am already on citalopram for panic and anxiety disorder but my son wants to discuss medication for him too.

Can a GP support with this this or will it require referral to CAMHS?

Many thanks for any words of advice.

• GP can only provide repeat prescriptions once a psychatrist has agreed that meds are needed and they will need to  write to GP. 

• Hi!

We've been using CBD Life's Aqua Drops, which are the only ones my LO will take as they are simply five drops in her Robinsons squash.

Within half an hour she is much more calm and less irritable. Helps with sleep too.

See: https://cbdlifeuk.com/cbd-products/aqua-drops-400mg-cbdcbda/

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

• Dear Papa,

Thanks for your suggestion about CBD oil, please can you tell me the brand you find works and where it’s from, I am in the UK. 
    I really need to help my daughter with her anxiety she needs help.

• Hi!

Have you considered using CBD oil at all?
    We have used it with great success. It doesn't cure, but does calm our girl down, with less stress and outbursts.

Might be worth looking in to, although a GP is not cleared to recommend it under current legislation, which is sure to change in the coming months/ years!

Good luck!

• Hello,

If you search on the NAS website there is a helpline to call and also a parent to parent service, I have called them recently and I think they would help you.  

I do not know if children can be prescribed antidepressants etc by the GP.  I have asked this myself a while back but I not think I had a reply.  Maybe you could request a telephone consultation with the paediatrician as soon as possible? 

Sorry to hear your concerns about your son and how his behaviours are impacting on your family.  Also sorry to hear how it’s impacting on your own mental health. I hope you have support and help and if not please reach out to get it.  I understand your issues and as a parent sometimes struggle and other days think I can conquer the world.  Mostly I’m struggling ! . Thinking about what you’ve said feeling concerned about your sons size, although my daughter is smaller than me I can understand how the behaviours impact and I have a younger child who she is bigger than.

I have had great concerns about self injurious behaviours and anger and have found that finding an alternative for her is the best option, so instead of hitting out hit the mattress / cushion etc etc. I have been shocked to see how angry my daughter can become but I know it’s to do with a sensory need so have tried to manage it as that.  I’ve waited until all is calm and spoken to her about the alternatives and also about the triggers, but she is also very able to discuss emotions etc.  You’ve not said how your son’s autism is effecting his communication but also I have used “treasure deck cards” with my daughter and they have helped her to identify self help strategies before a meltdown.   Also I log the meltdowns and try and identify triggers.  This helps to work out where the triggers start and how to avoid them, although not easy.

We are awaiting a diagnosis and my daughter has been prescribed circadin so she can sleep, this had to be prescribed by the paediatrician.  I have contacted CAHMS many times and they have said my daughters issues are “behaviours” not mental health. I do know though if you go into the CAHMS website there is a form on there to do a “self referal” .... maybe self refer  and go to the GP also and also contact the paediatrician.  I had spoken to the sendco at school and she’s said once there was a diagnosis that my daughter may be prescribed something for her Anxiety.

im just a mum and not a professional, there are wonderful people on this forum and I hope you get some more opinions.

please take care of you and I wish  you and your family all the very  best x