Sunflower Ĺanyard Scheme

Hi all,

These lanyards can be picked up from Customer Service desks in Sainsburys stores a cross the UK.They are for all hidden disabilities and for adults and children and hopefully more stores a d places will take this scheme up.you can get them online just search for hiddendisabilitystore

• I knew airports had these. We have one from Heathrow. Which shops know about these ?

• All major supermarkets are aware

• I've used it at airports in UK and US - works brilliantly.  Smiley

• Can I ask how does this work. 

• Just inside the terminal entrance is the disability assistance people - you turn up there and they give you the lanyard to denote you have hidden disabilities.   They will then walk you through the security section via the vip/disabled channel so there's no queues and no crowds so you have all the time you need to listen and follow their instructions without getting hassled - it's MUCH lower stress.    Get there as early as possible for a really personal service.

Your checked bags will normally get loaded with the business & premium economy bags so they will be first up at the carousel at the destination - less waiting.

If you're going to be flying, I always recommend booking one of the vip lounges (about £30/person) - away from the noise, smells and crowds of the terminal - it's so much more civilised.

I have some mobility issues too so the little golf-cart thing comes to collect us from the lounge and takes us to the gate.

You will also be pre-boarded so you've time to find your seat and get settled before the rest of the people board.

At the other end, they often collect you in a wheelchair (insurance risk?) from the plane and will wheel you through customs and passport control via the vip/disabled channel - no queues & no hassle - and they drop you off at either the hire-car desks or at the bus stops.

As a few more tips - to reduce stress even more, get to the airport the night before when it's dead quiet and do the 'twilight check-in' so you dump your bags and get boarding passes the night before so you're not struggling in the morning - a hotel on the airport is only £29.99 for a room.   It means there's no panic in the morning about getting stuck in traffic and missing your flight.

In the weeks before travelling, keep the very last of a deodorant and toothpaste etc. so you just use the last of it in the hotel and dump them in the bin as you leave - no need to take them with you.

• Great to know as I got mine via Gatwick earlier in the year before full diagnosis.

Think I will go and get another one for myself and one for my partner.