How does assessment work?

Hello, 

i have a 6 year old boy who has been referred for an ASD assessment by his school. He has already been seen by an educational psychologist at school who has given a 9 page report based on what she observed and she suggested he was referred. We have received an appointment today with a consultant community paediatrician for a communication disorder clinic. Is this the start of his referral/assessment process does anyone know? Thank you. 

• Hello, thank you for your reply. We haven’t had our appointment yet. We only got it a few days ago. I’ve read the information you sent the link for, thank you. Whilst it is helpful I’ve read this already. I was looking for more information about the actual appointment and the process. Is this likely to be the first appointment of many over a period of time? Or is it possible a diagnosis will be given on this appointment? I’ve read lots of conflicting information and obviously I’m aware the process may have a general variability dependant on areas. No idea how this works so just wanted to know what I’m likely to expect with this first appointment with the consultant paediatrician x

• Hi Svollans,

It sounds like you will have already had your appointment with the pediatrician by now, but if you want to learn more about the process for getting an ASD diagnosis you can view our page on diagnosis for children here - https://www.autism.org.uk/about/diagnosis/children.aspx - where you can also see information about post-diagnostic support and links to our helpline and family support services if that's something you would be interested in. 

Best wishes,

Ross - mod