Sugar elimination from diet

Hi all new to forum and first time posting, really just to see if anyone have experience or tips on this. My 6 year old son who has autism has terrible problems with very loose bowels and hives when eating certain foods. Dairy has been eliminated from his diet for past three years but after paediatrician appointment today we have been advised to eliminate all sugars from his diet for three weeks to see how that goes and slowly introduce sugars back in. 

Any help or guidance really appreciated. 

• Thanks so much for your replies. I just couldn’t understand how I’ve to eliminate sugars like fruit, cakes, biscuits etc but it’s still ok for him to eat bread and cereal and well basically everything has sugar in it. She did say veg is fine as long as it’s cooked. 

Reckon it’s going to be trial and error. I have bother with my gut myself with IBS It’s really weird though cos brown bread I can’t tolerate and white I’m fine with. Also spicy food is a no no but I love it so end up making myself ill at times. Will definitely see about a probiotic for him willing to try anything that will help in any way. Did look for sourdough bread tonight but unfortunately only had some that wasn’t dairy free so a no no. 

Will start tomorrow and fingers crossed it goes well. 

• Yeah, that's true - a sourdough bread is the safest bet because the slow rising and use of wild yeast means there's less. yeast overall, as most the yeast is consumed in the fermentation process. A soda bread is another option as it uses bicarbonate of soda instead of yeast to rise. Or there's always flatbreads too, as are popular in India. They're quite easy to make. All you need is flour, water, a bowl and a pan. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chapatis_77146

• Yeast overgrowth is not helped by white bread - they use the Chorleywood Method to make it which involves using way too much yeast and emulsifiers to make uniform bubbles in the bread.   It's cooked very fast at a low temperature so the yeast is not killed.   This multiplies in the gut causing gas & bloating    The emulsifiers soak up bacteria in the small intestine and drag it through to the large intestine where is grows and upsets the natural balance there.

• Eliminating sugars can be a good way of stopping to feed a candida overgrowth in the gut. Candida overgrowths are often the cause of hives and bowel problems. But besides that does he take any probiotics?

I take a teaspoon daily on top of my food, it's a white powder that has quite a few beneficial bacteria in it.

I actually take a children's one myself even though I'm an adult. It doesn't really have any taste. It can be mixed into food but only after putting on the plate, and not soups, as too much heat will kill the bacteria.

There's a growing amount of science that backs the idea that overuse of antibiotics is leading to more food allergies and gut problems. Most animal meat and dairy & eggs have antibiotics in them too, as the animals are given them and it stays in the meat and dairy & eggs, so you are basically  taking antibiotics (even if only in a small dose), if you're eating meat/eggs/mlk/cheese/yogurt that isn't organic. Only organic meat is assured to be antibiotic free.

As antibiotics kill ALL bacteria, even the good, it can be helpful to use a probiotic for a while to put back a healthy range of bacteria in the gut. A lot of people now cannot fight off infections well because they're taking too many antibiotics and viruses (like the cold and flu) are sometimes becoming immune to antibiotics.

• I have pan-ulcerative colitis - like Crohns but much more severe.   For me, food is like a dart-board.    Imagine if you replaced all the numbers around the edge with things like 'fibrous' or 'fatty' or 'dairy' or 'sugary' or 'chocolate' or 'yeasty' or 'citrus' or 'fresh veg' etc.   Now imagine baby food or chicken & boiled potatoes in the bullseye.

The further I go away from the centre towards the numbers, the more problems I get.    The biggest problem is that chicken & potatoes is tasteless & boring.    I can't do it - it's too dull - so I cheat and treat myself occasionally.

If I choose something with good flavour like a pizza, it bites me in multiple ways by the cheese, the tomato and the bread.   It gives me major problems afterwards/nest day.    Chocolate gives me problems within minutes.

I use Loperamide and Tramadol to give me relief - it anaesthetises the intestine so I can leave the house.   Some antidepressants do a similar thing in small doses.

I avoid all fresh fruit - tinned seems to be ok - oranges/citrus bite me badly

Cheap white bread is bad.

Veg has to be cooked to death.

Meat has to be very lean/no fat.

I avoid all oils & artificial spreads - small amounts of real butter seems ok.

I find the biggest issue is stress - the more I can avoid it, the healthier I am.

• No he can be very prone to colds anything that’s going about he catches it tbh. He has a really good diet that’s something that has never been a issue thankfully. But food and fruit in particular is his big love cutting it out is going to be very hard, his understanding is very poor so explaining to him why we are doing it isn’t going to register with him. 

They are also testing for other inflammatory conditions as well like Crohns etc to hand in a stool sample for that. 

• Sugar and dairy are hidden in lots of food - milk sugar - lactose - is hidden in lots of things because it is a cheap by-product from the dairy industry - it's even put in things like ham and as a bulking agent in lots of pills & capsules.  

Is he generally well?   Have they discounted anything else?