Hives caused by anxiety

Hi,

This is my first post on here, but I was wondering whether anyone had a child who suffers with a skin condition that becomes worse through stress and anxiety?

We are just starting on the long journey to diagnosis and I'm finding it all rather overwhelming at the moment, especially as my husband is in denial that there is anything for us to be concerned about with our five year olds behaviour. I, personally, have always suspected he may have some autistic traits but these are becoming much more obvious now and working with his school, theyve advised us to go for a diagnosis to ensure he gets the right support.

Every since being a baby, a dermatologist said that little raised itchy bumps he gets occasionally on his body are a form of hives and have appeared most commonly when hes ill or it's hot. But, during the school holidays when hes out of routine, we've had a lot of meltdowns this week and it's all been quite confusing for him at times, he has come out in a significant amount of hives. I'm wondering whether this could have been caused by the stress of being out of routine etc? Does anybody have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance, any information and advice I'd be so grateful for! 

Parents
  • I don't have a child thst suffers with hives but have done so myself. I seem to go through phases with it, its not just hives either its full blown angiodema thats where different parts of your body swell, Ive had swollen eyes and lips mainly and at one point ended up in A and E because of it, they sent me for tests and concluded it was urticaria and angiodema, related to stress, its a horrible thing to have to go through espescially for a child. You may find your little one grows out of it or goes through phases of it. I'm not sure if its autism related but there does seem to be a hypersensitivity link to allergies and extreem stress reactions amongst autistic individuals. 

It may be worth asking for allergy testing just to rule this out. Good luck.

• That's sounds awful for you! My little boy is just constantly scratching them, which is making it worse. School were paranoid it was chicken pox in September and I had to reassure them it wasnt.

I think I'll take him to the doctors this week if they dont get any better, and try some piriton to help with the itching. Being back st school and usual routine may settle him a bit this week.

Thank you for your help x

• That's sounds awful for you! My little boy is just constantly scratching them, which is making it worse. School were paranoid it was chicken pox in September and I had to reassure them it wasnt.

I think I'll take him to the doctors this week if they dont get any better, and try some piriton to help with the itching. Being back st school and usual routine may settle him a bit this week.

Thank you for your help x

Children
No Data