Any coping strategies in secondary school?

Hi, I’m new to this community so apologies if this is already answered somewhere. Has anyone found anything particular that helps their secondary school child get through the school day more easily? My daughter is 11 and so stressed out about school. We have given in to giving her lifts to/from school to ease the anxiety but sitting in a classroom where she finds it hard to process information quickly enough or remember what she should be doing is so tiring. Time out would help but she doesn’t want people to see her as different. Any ideas gratefully received! Thank you.

Parents
  • I wasn't diagnosed until after my school years but work as a teacher so still have to cope with the overwhelming sensory overload this environment causes. I've found the use of aromatherapy scents, especially calming and revitalising themed blends, as well as regular massages are a great help.

As I teach on a one-to-one basis, in my office, I have an electronic diffuser with the aromatherapy scents on throughout the day and this has significantly reduced the sick leave I take. If I was a pupil I'd put a few drops of the oil I wanted to use that day on my top instead.

I buy the essentials oils this shop - http://www.idaromatics.co.uk/product2.asp?cat1=6&name=Essential%20%20Oil%20Blends

An electronic diffuser can be purchased cheaply from Amazon if you'd like to use it in the evenings at home.

• I wasn't diagnosed until after my school years but work as a teacher so still have to cope with the overwhelming sensory overload this environment causes. I've found the use of aromatherapy scents, especially calming and revitalising themed blends, as well as regular massages are a great help.

As I teach on a one-to-one basis, in my office, I have an electronic diffuser with the aromatherapy scents on throughout the day and this has significantly reduced the sick leave I take. If I was a pupil I'd put a few drops of the oil I wanted to use that day on my top instead.

I buy the essentials oils this shop - http://www.idaromatics.co.uk/product2.asp?cat1=6&name=Essential%20%20Oil%20Blends

An electronic diffuser can be purchased cheaply from Amazon if you'd like to use it in the evenings at home.

Children
No Data