Have you tried using Nonviolence Resistance with your teen?

My son is 14 yrs and has over the past couple of months become really violent especially towards me. He threatened to stab me in the face with scissors before getting on the roof of our house saying he was going to jump. The police came and spend 90 minutes talking him down. He was arrested for affray simply to keep him safe in custody over night. The police were absolutely amazing with him and I have nothing but praise for them. We are in the middle of a Social Services referral which will hopefully get us more help which the police instigated for us. DS saw CAMHS from Nov '17 to May '18 and again had a one off session last week but he refused to talk about anything.

A couple of days ago DS said he was going to stab me with a knife he had taken from the dishwasher. We thought we had all the knives and scissors locked away but had obviously missed one. CAMHS had suggested using NVR as a way to help manage him so Hubby and I did a sit-in in his room for 2 hours which kind of worked. He calmed down a bit but it wasn't really until he has spoken to our older son that he really calmed down.

I'm wondering if anyone else has used NVR with a violent teen and what you thought of it or if you have any tips that can help us manage this.

Thank you in advance

• Hi NAS39402

This is an interesting question; I hope you get some responses and points of view from this knowledgeable community.

In the meantime, I am going to post our Helpline Number and a link to Parent to Parent Services in the hope that this is useful for you.

You may like to contact our Parent to Parent service who offers emotional support to parents and carers of children or adults with autism. This service is confidential and run by trained parent volunteers who are all parents themselves of a child or adult with autism.
    You contact the team on 0808 800 4106. Please leave a message and the team will call you back as soon as possible at a time that suits you, including evenings and weekends. Alternatively you can use contact the team via web form - http://www.autism.org.uk/services/community/family-support/parent-to-parent/enquiry.aspx

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor. Alternatively, should you prefer to send a message, you can do so via their webform - https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/questions.aspx

Nicky-Mod