Urgent Questionnaire!

Hi all, below I have made a questionnaire to ask you about a few questions concerning autism and how it affects young people’s lives for a survey of sorts. It would be very helpful if you could answer them with brutal honesty.

1: As a parent or carer of a child with autism, what are some difficulties your child can face when it comes to emotional expression and social communication? 

2: Do you feel as if there is an emotional barrier between you and the child, distancing you from each other through lack of communication?  

3: How does autism affect your child in terms of school life? 

4: Have you ever considered using interactive products as tools to develop your child’s emotional expression and communication?

5: Do you think your child would benefit from one? 

Thanks for taking the time to read through this.

• Here's a little experiment. Log out of this forum and watch how the forum posts change, you will notice some disappear, if you put a little scrutiny in you will find a common theme, they are critical ones.

The other interesting one is if you are in the doghouse each and every post you make will have about 15 subscribers instantly.

Don't forget this is a £100 MILLION pound a year business, their need to protect their brand image come above all else, well except protecting their paymasters, the tories.

• Hi 

Thanks for your comments and feedback.

The most appropriate and supportive responses arrive from this amazing community, so it is important to allow time for the community to respond to posts.

As moderators, we cannot offer personal advice but we can signpost to the appropriate teams who can help users.  Where a post has not received a community response, we try to respond within a couple of days.

The community is public.  We ask that members are over 16 when they join.  We try to keep the community safe and together by moderating comments using the Community Rules -  National Autistic Society - our Community

When concerned, we flag or escalate cases that are worrying to a senior member of the moderating team.

Hope this helps and, once again, thank-you for your feedback.

Nicky-Mod

• sorry DC, this says in reply to you, wasn’t my intention but I was upset when I read the response from Nicky mod and hit the reply to you instead, 

The questions seem relevant to me and the person asking hasn’t asked for any personal details and quite clearly says  for a survey of sorts! so I cannot see how research and ethics comes into it!

These are questions asked quite often by many individuals . I may ask them myself,,,purely to gain insight into how parents with autistic children find it coping on a daily basis, I would like this post to remain .

I for one object to the way NAS only come here to either tell us off for the odd word or promise to fix things but rarely keep us updated or indeed tell us of major changes never mind consult any of us.

This forum does not allow children or teenagers to be members , we as adults are treated just like children but even then no support is given , 

As has been said there are often posts regarding suicide and thoughts of harming oneself, nothing is ever said by NAS, All to often it is the members here who do their very best to give help and support, it often takes its toll on us, 

we are by nature very empathetic  people, but we also struggle each in our own ways, 

Come on NAS give us answers and not the usual silence or call our help line during office hours spiel, then the famous “albeit we are experiencing high demand currently so you may have to keep trying,”

Yes I am ranting, so many adults struggling each day, they come here and find help and support from those who can, but NAS! Who are they?

There is little to no support once diagnosed as can clearly be seen by many adults who after finding nothing come here, 

I do not expect a response worth reading if any.

•  - so this thread will be locked.

(...Not so just yet, if I can Post here?)

...But at last, I was wondering if this would happen to this Thread --- BUT it is NOT a BAD Thread/Topic.

...To both Miss Mod and Miss Elephant, it would be nice to begin a new Thread asking the same questions... But probably not all at once... and mostly rephrased so that it is not obviously a "survey" or for, as Nicky-Mod says "for research purposes".

Sorry I have no experienced answers myself, as I am neither a parent nor a carer; ...But, these are darned good questions which deserve answers, and then Miss Elephant poses yet more darned good questions, Thank You.

(..."ASD Level 1" was the last Official thing I read upon this forum to describe "HFA". From the "Tony Attwood 2019" Thread.)

• Nicky - Mod

You are a busy person...but can I ask if your remit is to focus firstly on posts relating to children with ASD or parents struggling....

i ask as on the autistic adult forum there are individuals struggling with employment, relationships (both abusive and non abusive) as well as suicide. Does the term high functioning mean that we are better equipped to deal with these?

this is not a derogatory post but a curious one.

• Hi,

We don't allow people to use this forum for research purposes, see community rule 8, which you can read here - http://community.autism.org.uk/p/rules - so this thread will be locked.

For data protection and research ethics reasons, requests for research study subjects and surveys need to be directed to: research@nas.org.uk

Thanks,

Nicky - mod