Does he know?

Hi all :)

You may have seen a topic i prerviously posted very recently about my boys. Im a mom of 3. I have got  my one boy through alot of the process to the point they have said its Autism and ADHD but it hasnt been put on paper as yet as hes yet to see a phsycotherapist and my other son hasnt even got to first screening yet. This in mind, I have so many questions, so please forgive me as no matter what i read it seems so vague. My main question being if this is the case, does my nearly 6 year old son know? is he aware of his autism and ADHD? If not when do they become aware of it? do you tell them or do you not say anything at all ( i wouldnt until it was on paper anyway). Also my one son has alot of hitting, bitting to others and himself, he uses baby talk and grunts, these things sometimes make me wonder is all this behaviour completely his condition OR is some of it just an average nearly 6 year olds behaviour? Im very confused. I know alot of the things he does isnt that of someone his age but say like when hes boundary pushing is that the nearly six year old or is it part of the condition or both? the reason i ask this as im so worried about time out if its something that cant be helped, in fact should i be time outing anyway?  Im in a place where im questioning everything he does (not to him like i just think is this his way of saying i cant cope or is it him just being a head strong nearly 6 year old?) , im questioning everything we do like should i time out if his behaviour is unacceptable (but then it might not be his fault and so i dont want him to feel misunderstood). I often wonder if he knows as im scared that he might feel alone or isolated and i really dont want that. I mean he seems happy enough until hes in one of his outbursts but i am a worrier and the thought of them feeling misunderstood for even a second turns my stomach. If theres anyone out there with autism / ADHD or both a point of view and advice from you would be greatly appreciated as i just want to understand and do the best for my boys. My boys havent changed overnight and i would like to think that i know them every inch of the way however if theres anything i can do to understand the way they see the world then that can only benefit them surely? thank you for reading my post, and thank you in advance to anyone that can contribute, it means alot. Best Wishes, Lisa :)

Parents
  • hiya :)

How are you today? hope you are ok :) Yeah teachers are either one extreme or the other arent they!  You'll be a Uni soon though thats the main thing, it wont be far away now eh? Im glad youve got some more appointments to get an action plan together, :) Yeah between me and you i just make a joke of it in the car with the boys on the way home so they dont feel so bad about it which they love as they think im being a naughty cheeky mommy! he he he! Oh yeah lots have already got their trees up! ours wont be up til 1st of december but we have a star on ours :D  we dont like traumatising fairies lol! I love christmas, i love seeing their faces :) Yeah it can be a bit take it or leave it, i was like that at 17 to be fair.  Brad and Callum are TOO excited! everything they see on tv they say awww can i put that on my list mom? (even though they dont know what it is or what it does!) it doesnt matter if i dont get it :) the one thing i know they really really REALLY want is air swimmers... have you seen them they are amazing but may give you a fright if your unsuspectingly walking around the house and one flies to you.. you should google them and see them! other than that its very difficult to work out what they will LOVE as opposed to what they think they want but really are just saying it because they have no idea themselves  :) Callums had a bad day today at school, hes been headbutting the floor again, when asked why he replied i wanna hurt myself and then bursts into laughter!! Im not sure if its for attention though? I dunno. Brads had a fab day at dance hes done really well, hes very excited to do his dance comp on sunday :) was it today that trip? :/

• hiya :)

How are you today? hope you are ok :) Yeah teachers are either one extreme or the other arent they!  You'll be a Uni soon though thats the main thing, it wont be far away now eh? Im glad youve got some more appointments to get an action plan together, :) Yeah between me and you i just make a joke of it in the car with the boys on the way home so they dont feel so bad about it which they love as they think im being a naughty cheeky mommy! he he he! Oh yeah lots have already got their trees up! ours wont be up til 1st of december but we have a star on ours :D  we dont like traumatising fairies lol! I love christmas, i love seeing their faces :) Yeah it can be a bit take it or leave it, i was like that at 17 to be fair.  Brad and Callum are TOO excited! everything they see on tv they say awww can i put that on my list mom? (even though they dont know what it is or what it does!) it doesnt matter if i dont get it :) the one thing i know they really really REALLY want is air swimmers... have you seen them they are amazing but may give you a fright if your unsuspectingly walking around the house and one flies to you.. you should google them and see them! other than that its very difficult to work out what they will LOVE as opposed to what they think they want but really are just saying it because they have no idea themselves  :) Callums had a bad day today at school, hes been headbutting the floor again, when asked why he replied i wanna hurt myself and then bursts into laughter!! Im not sure if its for attention though? I dunno. Brads had a fab day at dance hes done really well, hes very excited to do his dance comp on sunday :) was it today that trip? :/

Children
No Data