Does he know?

Hi all :)

You may have seen a topic i prerviously posted very recently about my boys. Im a mom of 3. I have got  my one boy through alot of the process to the point they have said its Autism and ADHD but it hasnt been put on paper as yet as hes yet to see a phsycotherapist and my other son hasnt even got to first screening yet. This in mind, I have so many questions, so please forgive me as no matter what i read it seems so vague. My main question being if this is the case, does my nearly 6 year old son know? is he aware of his autism and ADHD? If not when do they become aware of it? do you tell them or do you not say anything at all ( i wouldnt until it was on paper anyway). Also my one son has alot of hitting, bitting to others and himself, he uses baby talk and grunts, these things sometimes make me wonder is all this behaviour completely his condition OR is some of it just an average nearly 6 year olds behaviour? Im very confused. I know alot of the things he does isnt that of someone his age but say like when hes boundary pushing is that the nearly six year old or is it part of the condition or both? the reason i ask this as im so worried about time out if its something that cant be helped, in fact should i be time outing anyway?  Im in a place where im questioning everything he does (not to him like i just think is this his way of saying i cant cope or is it him just being a head strong nearly 6 year old?) , im questioning everything we do like should i time out if his behaviour is unacceptable (but then it might not be his fault and so i dont want him to feel misunderstood). I often wonder if he knows as im scared that he might feel alone or isolated and i really dont want that. I mean he seems happy enough until hes in one of his outbursts but i am a worrier and the thought of them feeling misunderstood for even a second turns my stomach. If theres anyone out there with autism / ADHD or both a point of view and advice from you would be greatly appreciated as i just want to understand and do the best for my boys. My boys havent changed overnight and i would like to think that i know them every inch of the way however if theres anything i can do to understand the way they see the world then that can only benefit them surely? thank you for reading my post, and thank you in advance to anyone that can contribute, it means alot. Best Wishes, Lisa :)

Parents
  • Hiya :)

How are you?

Yeah see i really think Bradley is very much like you, hes the one whos just awaiting his first ever screening, alot of what you say i see in Bradley daily. Brad is what i before this would have said was a daydream boy with little quirks that make me smile. Yeah it is the fact they expect you to know everything, and i dont, im barely even beginning! Thats a good reaction (about the tripping) if you can find things like that to make you feel secure thats brilliant! Oh its Brad with the colourful vision, Callum would love it i think he would be jealous too if he knew what Brad sees :D  Callums the one who gets outta control with overwhelming impulses around lots of people, noise etc, and hes also the one that does all the hurting and an extremely high pain threshold. (hes the one whos quite a way through his process and they say its Autism and ADHD). Yeah i think im with you on that one I would quite like those colours when im bored it would jazz things up a little eh?! My first car was a lovely purple never seen one like it before i loved it! Ah thats good you can listen to your music in lessons, Brad loves his music, he is a fantastic dancer and gymnast. So Elliott loves maths too then! Callum loves maths and loves construction and drawing too, i think he likes it because for him hes in control of it, he decides what he makes and he has the most wildest of imaginations sometimes, I hold his grandad responsible for that though as he makes stories up for Brad and Callum to listen to he he! Yeah it could be a male / female thing couldnt it? If it is I hope that it starts to help our Brad soon as he got quite upset on the way home as he just cant do timestables, hes off daydreaming but then gets angry that he doesnt get them and all the class are infront of him and its really hurt his feelings, but he will get there, i just gave him a big hug and told him it was ok and that he was excellent at other things :) Do you find that things come easier in your teens or about the same? I was just wondering as youre an excellent communicator and was just thinking if my boys can speak about how they feel / see things more clearly as they get older then things have surely got to get a little easier?? Hope youre having a good evening :) Best wishes Lisa :)

• Hiya :)

How are you?

Yeah see i really think Bradley is very much like you, hes the one whos just awaiting his first ever screening, alot of what you say i see in Bradley daily. Brad is what i before this would have said was a daydream boy with little quirks that make me smile. Yeah it is the fact they expect you to know everything, and i dont, im barely even beginning! Thats a good reaction (about the tripping) if you can find things like that to make you feel secure thats brilliant! Oh its Brad with the colourful vision, Callum would love it i think he would be jealous too if he knew what Brad sees :D  Callums the one who gets outta control with overwhelming impulses around lots of people, noise etc, and hes also the one that does all the hurting and an extremely high pain threshold. (hes the one whos quite a way through his process and they say its Autism and ADHD). Yeah i think im with you on that one I would quite like those colours when im bored it would jazz things up a little eh?! My first car was a lovely purple never seen one like it before i loved it! Ah thats good you can listen to your music in lessons, Brad loves his music, he is a fantastic dancer and gymnast. So Elliott loves maths too then! Callum loves maths and loves construction and drawing too, i think he likes it because for him hes in control of it, he decides what he makes and he has the most wildest of imaginations sometimes, I hold his grandad responsible for that though as he makes stories up for Brad and Callum to listen to he he! Yeah it could be a male / female thing couldnt it? If it is I hope that it starts to help our Brad soon as he got quite upset on the way home as he just cant do timestables, hes off daydreaming but then gets angry that he doesnt get them and all the class are infront of him and its really hurt his feelings, but he will get there, i just gave him a big hug and told him it was ok and that he was excellent at other things :) Do you find that things come easier in your teens or about the same? I was just wondering as youre an excellent communicator and was just thinking if my boys can speak about how they feel / see things more clearly as they get older then things have surely got to get a little easier?? Hope youre having a good evening :) Best wishes Lisa :)

Children
No Data