Channel 5's 50 Greatest Kids' Shows

Back when I was a teen, Channel 5 aired a special programme about the 50 Greatest Kids' Shows in Britain, as voted by viewers. But there may be people out there who recognise each entry as their own personal favourite. So, which of the entries in the programme is your favourite? Is it either:

Blue Peter

Tiswas

Bagpuss

Thunderbirds

SM:TV Live

Rainbow

Horrible Histories

Danger Mouse

Play School

Rentaghost

Grange Hill

Mr Benn

Vision On

The Story Of Tracy Beaker

Something Special

Clangers

Going Live

Crackerjack

Trumpton

How

Pipkins

Teletubbies

Captain Pugwash

The Magic Roundabout

Roobarb

Press Gang

Jackanory

EBC1

Chorlton & The Wheelies

Newsround

Metal Mickey

Byker Grove

Thomas & Friends

Basil Brush

In The Night Garden

The Wombles

Tweenies

Mary Mungo & Midge

Swap Shop

Record Breakers

Sooty

Magpie

Why Don't You....

Bob The Builder

Watch With Mother

Think Of A Number

Fingerbobs

Postman Pat

Worzel Gummidge

My favourites are Teletubbies, Chorlton and of course Thunderbirds! What's your's?

• I think he went on to become ‘The Crowman’ in Worzel Gummidge’. The young girl  in Worzel  was Charlotte Coleman who went on to be Marmalade Atkins and then in 4 Weddings.

I loved Rentaghost, Madam Popov is still going strong in Corrie.

• Just realised that Catweazle was missed!!??

Because he's an 11th century wizard thrown forward in time, he thinks that modern inventions are magic. I still like the idea of calling electricity "elek-trickery" and the telephone the " telling-bone" Smile

• Rentaghost, Mr Benn & Thunderbirds

• I remember Happy Days from when I was a teenager, I always cringed then, I think I only kept watching it because that's what everybody else did. I never liked Sesame Street or the Muppets, they both freaked me out.

I liked Vision on too.

I remember horrible sundays with nothing to do, nothing open, the rush to the chippy when it finally opened at 7pm and we could chips and curry sauce to break the monotony. Theres still some indigestible about sunday afternoons, the smell of roast dinners still gives me a chumbly belly.

• I love cartoons with gand done colouring where they do it roughly so you see the colour moving 

• Yes to Ivor the Engine! As for Czech stuff...

The Singing Ringing Tree was so other worldly.

• I do remember both programs but I’ve never really liked Westerns,  I am halfway through ‘Little House on the Prairie’ at the moment though, which starred Michael Landon from Bonanza. 
    I can remember Sunday afternoons when absolutely everything was closed. I would be subjected to ‘How the west was won’, it seemed to last hours. 
    ‘I have found re-runs of Happy Days recently, it’s a bit cringy now how The Fonz is worshipped by women and they obey every command. He only has to click his fingers. There is a good episode with Suzi Quattro in it.

The Magic Roundabout was always I bit puzzling, I think it was originally French. My eldest child was a big ‘Ben 10’ fan, he went on to be a big Harry Potter fan.

An interesting program was Vision On, I loved Wilf Lunns inventions and obviously the birth place of Morph who was one of Aardman Animations early creations. I can still remember ‘The Gallery’ music.

Just remembered ‘I dream of Jeanie’ and Bewitched.

• I still remember the Casey Jones theme tune. Do you remember Bonanza and The High Chapperal? Not exactly kids programs, but the were on early enough for me to watch them.

I notice there's a clear age difference showing, I've never heard of some of the programes some are talking about, or I've vaguely heard of them. I can still sing the Post Man Pat theme tune frorm memories of watching it with my children.

Does any one remember Ivor the Engine? And those weird Cheq cartoons?

• I didn't even know what lord of the rings really was until the film came out and our school took us to see it 

• I remember Kinghtmare. Blissfully unaware of the Tolkien influence. 

• Crystal maze was good with richard o brien and ed Tudor pole was good 

I'm the first dnd movie richard o brien has a line win the maze and win a prize it always makes me chuckle 

• I can hear this as I read it Haha and I never really saw cracker jack except on clip shows 

• People seem to forget doctor who is a childrens program and I think some of the Russell t Davis episode get this right were as chris chibnall tried to appeal to the adult fans more with lots of message of the week episodes that made people forget the stand outs of his run (flux was amazing) 

• Channel 5 was amazing for kids tv when it started as it had milkshake which had blocks for different ages  my favourites where the incredible hulk and wishbone but my older brother liked the tribe but I as a bit young for that one and it was scary to me 

Milkshake now is solely infant age target audience but is a good supplement to cbeebies and baby tv and sky kids 

I'm sad that cbbc is going online only it wont be the same and itv x kids isnt as good as citv 

I'm old enough to remember childrens bbc block on bbc 3 which I believe was called bbc digital at the time and it had brum and bodger and badger 

• That's a good list I'd say Tracey Baker and mr Benn

But outside of that list I'd say the queens nose,aquila,ghost hunter,big kids and my parents are aliens 

Something speical is a very good show though as it teaches inclusion and acceptance of disability and it's a good way to learn macaton signs which are very good for communicating with non verbal people but are also useful if you dont know bsl and use them as an aid to someone who is lip reading 

Look and read was a good series too in particular the boy from space and geordie racer but dark towers looked good but I never saw it 

• Back then, kids were encouraged to learn; by TV.

Now it's mind-numbing.

• Jamie and the magic torch.

• It’s Friday, it’s 5 to 5 and it’s time for…..

• Ha Ha - fingermouse. Yes, the man creeped me out a bit too. I was an instant convert from Swap Shap to Tiswas. I seem to remember that Granada (grew up oop North) didn't show it, but we could get HTV too and watched it slightly fuzzy every week.