How DARE you un-diagnose me!

Someone on LinkedIn claimed that I'm not autistic based on a single comment I made in relation to a thread by Pete Wharmby, author of 'Untypical'. Un-diagnosing an autistic person is very irresponsible. By doing it, you're doubting a person who has possibly spent decades not knowing who they are and why they struggle so much in a world not designed for them.

[removed by moderator]

• Hi Rosie. Just checking that this means I'm not allowed to share links to my own YouTube videos.

• Dear Autistic Not Alien, 

Thank you for posting to our online community. We would like to remind you of Rule 2:

This Community forum is public, so do not post personal or identifying details. This includes, but is not limited to, full names, addresses, contact details, social media, or photographs of yourself.  

Kind Regards,
    Rosie Mod

• I don't know how the wretched emoji popped on - please disregard it, as I could not remove it / delete the post either.  Oh, well!

• Glad to hear you do find some LinkedIn contributors helpful.

I find I need to do quite a lot of observation / my own desk research before I am happy to follow an organisation etc.

I believe it is important to use LinkedIn to the extent it serves you (avoiding becoming drawn into all the guff that can be pushed towards you while you do so).Imp

• There are plenty of autism advocates on LinkedIn who are, thankfully, knowledgeable and compassionate. I never quite know how to use LinkedIn, but it is a place to find good people.

• I am trying to guage how net positive versus net negative LinkedIn seems to be for people these days.

On reflection, would you say you that you have also experienced some people responding via LinkedIn in a good / helpful way sometimes?

Alerting others about those around whom to be wary is community-minded, so thank you. 

However, let's not give the irritating ones all the power to put off the good use of LinkedIn - if there are still other benefits to be gained - without naming the good people: anyone had a good experience too?

• Yep, he's a charlatan, and an unrepentant one. The first google search was a Reddit comment that went into detail.

• Tempting to ignore them, but I wanted to call it out, particularly as they are claiming to be an 'institute' with influence.

• I can't speak for the OP, but in my case, while the individuals didn't know me, they had a lot of power and people on their side. 

• I was an enthusiastic early-adopter of LinkedIn (way before the current large enterprise took it over).

Originally, I enjoyed my use of LinkedIn and viewed it as a benefit.  That experience changed, in lots of negative ways, when it was taken over (therefore, I closed my account as the relentless hassles had come to far out way any benefits).

Roll forward, quite a number of years, when I have been trying to engage with various Autism-related groups; I found I was disenfranchised by not having a LinkedIn account.

Reluctantly, I set up a new account - and tried to set it up as low-profile as possible, and I don't post etc. (really just to be able to follow the information sources I value and to be able to easily register for webinars etc.).  Even so, I do find the barrage of other (un-solicited) nonsense is off-putting.

It is a challenge.

Un-diagnosing anyone, around anything, is not acceptable.

I struggle to understand the energy and motivation of such creepy people prepared to peddle their rubbish.

After all, there are numerous other social media outlets, not LinkedIn, upon which they can puff up their ego!

• I get the anger, but does this person actually know you? Do they have the power to undiagnose you? If not then ignore them for being ignorant and talking a load of bollards.

• I screwed up in a big way on social media last year, and someone suggested that I couldn't be autistic because an autistic person wouldn't do such a bad thing, even though autism is 100% context for what happened. 

Other autistic people on Twitter expected me to deal with it like a neurotypical person. I'm still incredibly angry about it. No one ever defended me.

• Digging a little bit, I think that the problem is a lot worse than you described. He's a charlatan trying to look like a researcher. It's so sad that it is so easy to create a web of fictitious research and make out that one is an institute. And then people will use this  c r a p  to back up their own prejudices.