Are you all supremely confident that you're intelligent

Or are you like me? Expecting at any moment to be outed as an intellectual fraud. It's an area of high,possibly pathological,insecurity for me. I think it connects to the bullying related trauma. Being treated as a lesser person by my school age contemporaries, especially as a teenager.

Parents
  • I don’t ever feel intelligent, my IQ is higher than most but I struggle in different ways. I’m not very good at reading or writing, that has often made me feel stupid, I can still remember an English teacher laughing at my spelling of quite simple words. I just don’t see words in the same way as most others, I now recognise that it’s most probably dyslexia not stupidity.

I can do things that neurotypical people find quite hard but then I often fail to understand something like a joke and then feel stupid. I suppose there are many different ways to measure cleverness, I just tend to plod on and not worry about other people too much.

• I often fail to understand something like a joke

I've never been good at that.  With a lot of stand up comedians/comediennes I'm thinking 'what's so funny about that?' Ditto a lot of comedy shows.

• Is it that you fail to understand a joke, or that the "joke" really wasn't funny and you're the only one honest enough to admit to it? I'm the same with a lot of comedy, recently there seems to be a trend for humiliation either of others or more often the self, I find them excruciating to watch, fingers scratching down a blackboard painful. I get told I don't have much of a sense of humour, but I do, it's just more QI than Miranda. Plus as so much comedy is about identifying with it, they talk about things I don't understand or have little or no experience of.

• I've never told a joke.

I'm not really one for telling jokes either, but in my case it's because I'm hopeless at remembering jokes. I can tell amusing anecdotes, but whether other people consider them amusing is an entirely different matter.

Reply Children
No Data