How real is reality?

You probably see the world around you in 3 dimensions - up/down, side/other side and back/front. Time is the 4th dimension as objects move in 3 dimensions.

That all seems pretty solid and, well, real - right?

Well not quite - it seems we can only perceive four when in fact there are believed to be 10.

https://phys.org/news/2014-12-universe-dimensions.html

Once you start to read into the string theory behind this you start to realise the universe is so much more complex then we understand and our reality is just a tiny piece of it.

If that doesn't bake your noodle then I don't know what will.

All that stuff about parallel universes etc has some basis in fact after all.

The next thing you know there will be proof that time is non linear and our perception of it is all that is making it so.

What, you didn't know....?

• It’s all a simulation. We are in the matrix.

This is a truly intriguing line of reasoning - especially when you consider the ways you could detect if you were in a simulation or not and start to push those boundaries.

The film of the same name did a good job of explaining what it is all about, but how to evaluate if we are actually in it takes a different frame of mind, and many who go in search of this don't come back oddly enough.

Looking at those who have tried to reason a way to prove this have had interesting results but with the key issue ourstanding of - if we are in a simulation then won't it have safeguards against its own discovery.

An interesting article on this is https://www.cnet.com/culture/are-we-in-the-matrix-science-looks-for-signs-were-not-real/

• It seems to me most physical concepts don't require my belief to exist. In fact, I am welcome to understand it on its terms, not mine. Gravity is a good example for this. However, according to psychoanalysis, if we don't actively check bias or enlist a bit of healthy doubt, the human mind is very susceptible to immaterial ideas or being mislead. I might add unreasonable expectations here.

David Hume was big on Perception. He also was the first in philosophy as we know it to state that it is not Bias we need to be careful of, but Associations (which shape bias). 

I don't think we need to throw away the history of ideas either. Early conceptions of our universe help us understand how ideas take form and provide the catalyst for what will be built upon them.

As for certain lobes and the general idea of which hemisphere produces what effect (sides can be physically swapped), of course there is much more we don't know. In the best case, we normally use both sides but can actually be pulled heavy-sided to one or the other.  Some neurologists have dedicated their entire life to understanding some nuances of difference and I believe it is useful if not just to aid respecting how another perceives, understands and responds to the world around. I recall trying to explain on repeat to someone in the past that I don't need help getting 'into' the moment. I'm often lost in it. I need help organising for linear consequence. This would've been much easier to convey at the time quoting neurologists I've read on how heavier Left-linear reasoning differentiates from those who lean a bit more heavy with Right-thinking. 

Fractals are in physics. I think they help us see things in a different perspective. Most of the time, ideas and concepts are simply not taken to their furthest point. The idea may be echoed in different ways, but we often find one did not go far enough with the idea. And sometimes it is just for someone else to take up and carry on with.

Jung wrote a book on UFO's toward the end of his career. He found it fascinating that throughout history humans have been looking for an escape and science provided a new religion. :) 

• If I start thinking about how fast we're spining through space my brain goes biggledy so I don't do it anymore, the worlds confusing enough as it is.

I'm no longer sure about right brain/left brain stuff and I think there are a few neurologists that are questioning it too. If someone has a severe brain injury the other side to the one injured seems to take over and do everything. I'm quite able to organise myself and others in time and space, or who needs to be where and when in plain language.

I do see time as boundless and I think I always have, I've always had "the sight" as have many others in my family. I don't think of it as something all woowoo as many people do, but as something normal, because for me it is. How it works I dont' know, are bits of the past or future leaking into the now? 

I've also spent a fair bit of my life learning magic, shamanism, meditation and differnt spiritual stuff from around the world, I think Hindu beliefs are theat when one os enlightened one can see in all 10 directions at once, this seems to be a reccuring theme in a lot of more mystically inclined belief systems. As does experiencing other worlds, dimensions, beings etc. Another common and ancient belief is what we would call Mandlebrot Sets and fractals, the end in the begining and the begining in the end, the universe s one big mandala.

Another thing I want to cast into the this somewhat metaphysical discussion, is; did you know that the number of sighting of angels and fairies has decreased in a similar proportion to the increase in sighting of UFO's and spacepeople?

How much of what we think we know is actually consensus reality? If we all had a collective brainfart in our sleep and decided 2x2 didn't make 4, would all our buildings and creations that rely on maths suddenly fail?

• I actually read an article not too long ago that suggested just this. But I'm skeptical Time actually exists even though we have proof of material things in decay.

proof that time is non linear and our perception of it is all that is making it so.

Would recommend: The Janus Point (A New Theory of Time) by Julian Barbour. Am currently reading on of Rudy Rucker 's lectures on Infinity. Hyperspace is another good one.

I think it's common for Autistics to conceive of boundlessness in regard to space-time, which is apparently a Right brain experience of time. Possibly at the expense of executive dysfunction, where linear organisation lies. 

• I would not surprised if I was living in a simulation since 2015. The worlds seems to be going crazy.

I once heard Brian Cox explain that we are always traveling at the speed of light. If we are standing still, then we are moving through time at the speed of light. If we move though space at the speed of light, then we are not moving through time. Every other speed is somewhere in between. The maths for this is beyond me, but he was pretty convincing at the time.

• It’s all a simulation. We are in the matrix. If we are in the matrix who makes the rules? Answer= the 1% 

• Shame this threads not got more traction, so I'm posting just to bump it up.

• With things like time not being linear, I feel as though I've been waiting for the world to catch up with my perceptions for years, the multiverse or branes, yep bring them on.