How real is reality?

You probably see the world around you in 3 dimensions - up/down, side/other side and back/front. Time is the 4th dimension as objects move in 3 dimensions.

That all seems pretty solid and, well, real - right?

Well not quite - it seems we can only perceive four when in fact there are believed to be 10.

https://phys.org/news/2014-12-universe-dimensions.html

Once you start to read into the string theory behind this you start to realise the universe is so much more complex then we understand and our reality is just a tiny piece of it.

If that doesn't bake your noodle then I don't know what will.

All that stuff about parallel universes etc has some basis in fact after all.

The next thing you know there will be proof that time is non linear and our perception of it is all that is making it so.

What, you didn't know....?

Parents
  • I actually read an article not too long ago that suggested just this. But I'm skeptical Time actually exists even though we have proof of material things in decay.

proof that time is non linear and our perception of it is all that is making it so.

Would recommend: The Janus Point (A New Theory of Time) by Julian Barbour. Am currently reading on of Rudy Rucker 's lectures on Infinity. Hyperspace is another good one.

I think it's common for Autistics to conceive of boundlessness in regard to space-time, which is apparently a Right brain experience of time. Possibly at the expense of executive dysfunction, where linear organisation lies. 

• I actually read an article not too long ago that suggested just this. But I'm skeptical Time actually exists even though we have proof of material things in decay.

proof that time is non linear and our perception of it is all that is making it so.

Would recommend: The Janus Point (A New Theory of Time) by Julian Barbour. Am currently reading on of Rudy Rucker 's lectures on Infinity. Hyperspace is another good one.

I think it's common for Autistics to conceive of boundlessness in regard to space-time, which is apparently a Right brain experience of time. Possibly at the expense of executive dysfunction, where linear organisation lies. 

Children
  • If I start thinking about how fast we're spining through space my brain goes biggledy so I don't do it anymore, the worlds confusing enough as it is.

I'm no longer sure about right brain/left brain stuff and I think there are a few neurologists that are questioning it too. If someone has a severe brain injury the other side to the one injured seems to take over and do everything. I'm quite able to organise myself and others in time and space, or who needs to be where and when in plain language.

I do see time as boundless and I think I always have, I've always had "the sight" as have many others in my family. I don't think of it as something all woowoo as many people do, but as something normal, because for me it is. How it works I dont' know, are bits of the past or future leaking into the now? 

I've also spent a fair bit of my life learning magic, shamanism, meditation and differnt spiritual stuff from around the world, I think Hindu beliefs are theat when one os enlightened one can see in all 10 directions at once, this seems to be a reccuring theme in a lot of more mystically inclined belief systems. As does experiencing other worlds, dimensions, beings etc. Another common and ancient belief is what we would call Mandlebrot Sets and fractals, the end in the begining and the begining in the end, the universe s one big mandala.

Another thing I want to cast into the this somewhat metaphysical discussion, is; did you know that the number of sighting of angels and fairies has decreased in a similar proportion to the increase in sighting of UFO's and spacepeople?

How much of what we think we know is actually consensus reality? If we all had a collective brainfart in our sleep and decided 2x2 didn't make 4, would all our buildings and creations that rely on maths suddenly fail?