The encryption of technology.

Sounds like a pretentious title, I know, but in fact it's the best way of describing an issue that bothers me more and more each year, and which the audience may be unaware of.

You see, in order to get by and give people a cause to actually consider me useful, I've spent my life fixing things. When I fixed my first radio set at aged Eight (quite proud of that! 'Been an under achiever ever since though ;c( ) it was simply a case of following the wires and looking for the issue, mostly. In short if you had the way of thinking, you could understand the tech enough to figure out how to fix it, then go to radiospares and get the bit, if you needed one)

The good makers like Philips and some oriental firms even tucked a circuit diagram inside the set to help the would be fixer. 

As repairs gradually got harder and harder I kep up-skilling myself, but I noticed when computers got ubiquitous that more and more issues needed a thourough understanding of software, and eventually that spawned a whole set of new training and leanring opportunities. On my microsoft course we covered a topic that I'd largely figured out on my own, network addressing and I noticed how the training appeard to have taken a basic concept adn fragmented it to make the basic concept LESS understandable and more complicated. In short the engneers produced by such a course had heads full of procedures and concepts but less actual real overall knowledge of how the netork actually worked. I assumed because they wanted to produce Microsoft engineers and not general "hackers" of course. This made the whole learning experience very unsatisfactory for me, of course and I very much found it to be a "spend three grand and get a piece of paper that will help you get a job, but since everyone and his dog had done these dcprses it won't actually be a very well paid job, by the time you get it, excercise. And the "skills" are non-transferrable and their "value and utility" has a very short life indeed compared to basic carpentry or house building skills.

The point is this concept is being universally extended now to everything we buy of a technological nature, to the extent that it isn't repairable unless you have the manufacturers software to "unlock" any spare parts you might manage to acquire. AND THEY PARTICULARLY DETEST US RECYCLING PRE USED PARTS.  IF you buy a spare "Parrrot" or "DJI" drone camera to replace the one damaged in a heavy landing IT WON'T WORK unless you ahev teh special software which is unobtanium unless you are "authorised". Car parts are going that way, making the concept of going to a breakers to keep ones old knacker going will end. 

Electroncis was once a rich skill t have invloving all sorts of things, but now most professional service people are reduced to being "parts swappers" and "flow chart followers" which some of you will be noticing how bloody hard it is getting to get stuff fixed.

This will never end, until we are all reduced to CONSUMERS buying magical items that cannot be repaired but must always be replaced, even when the manufacturers update is what actually caused the fault.  (If you buy a used phantom 3 drone and connect it to the web and run the updates, it will soemtimes break, looking exactly like a hardware fault that requires a £250 quid "repair" which you will pay basically from someone in an office to reset the softare and install the updates correctly (which the user or even would be non-approved repairer) cannot do.  

Because the basic technolgy has been hidden or "encrypted" precisely to take away YOUR power to get it fixed and force you to buy a new one at a time of soemone else's choosing.

The only argument is whether this is a deliberate process, to reduce peoples abilty to be independedt of the equipment supplier once the purchase has been done, I.e a deliberate creation of dependency  or just the way it is turning out...

Parents
  • The only argument is whether this is a deliberate process

It absolutely is intentional.

I've worked with people from hardware developers and because they work on fairly modest margins, their design brief is to remove the ability to repair the hardware and make the bits they must make replacable (by law or through advertised functionality) they have them paired to the system boards so you need a device only available to approved techs to perform the pairing process.

It keeps profits from these jobs coming back to the company and encourages the customer to buy newer / better products from them.

Software updated degrading old products to make new ones attractive are also commonplace. Apple are a main purveyor of this technique and try to justify it as "protecting battery performance" on old devices by reducing the processor speed. Suddenly new stuff seems amazingly fast compared to your old iPhone / iPad when all they did was slow the old one down and make the noew one a bit faster.

They don't make much money from repairs - it is mostly from the premium you pay to have the latest device, hence the focus on making the old stuff seem unfashionable.

Services are where they really make the money but that is a different story.

• The only argument is whether this is a deliberate process

It absolutely is intentional.

I've worked with people from hardware developers and because they work on fairly modest margins, their design brief is to remove the ability to repair the hardware and make the bits they must make replacable (by law or through advertised functionality) they have them paired to the system boards so you need a device only available to approved techs to perform the pairing process.

It keeps profits from these jobs coming back to the company and encourages the customer to buy newer / better products from them.

Software updated degrading old products to make new ones attractive are also commonplace. Apple are a main purveyor of this technique and try to justify it as "protecting battery performance" on old devices by reducing the processor speed. Suddenly new stuff seems amazingly fast compared to your old iPhone / iPad when all they did was slow the old one down and make the noew one a bit faster.

They don't make much money from repairs - it is mostly from the premium you pay to have the latest device, hence the focus on making the old stuff seem unfashionable.

Services are where they really make the money but that is a different story.

Children
No Data