Not finishing things

I never finish anything. 

Lol it's literally like it sounds. I start things and then I just abandon it. I started learning the guitar, stopped after a day. I write, either just for fun or working on a book or assignments...then I just stop.

I think I lose interest or mmaybe it's anxiety that it won't be any good? Anxiety that I'll fail?

Then just now I started making a sandwich and drink and stopped midway through no longer feeling interested in it. This causes me issues at times with self neglect because I don't eat and drink enough... and my school stuff goes unfinished.

Just curious really as to why I'm like this and if anyone else about this site can relate to it. I tell my family and they just stare at me. 

If it's something you do to let me know, would be nice if it's not just a me thing!BlushBlush

• Here here

That's deliberate!

Go to the back of the class with Number (or sit in a corner facing the wall).

en.wikipedia.org/.../Hear,_hear

• TFFT that I've FINISHED!

Congratulations and well done Beers

• I finished "a thing."

That "thing" has utterly absorbed all mental attention and useable hours, to the exclusion of ALL other matters in my life, for the last 6 weeks.

That "thing" has demanded painful sacrifice from me, to get it finished.

This is the nature of "how" I get a "thing" finished - ie utter absorption, pain, suffering and sacrifice!

As you might imagine, I can, (on many occasions) be reluctant to "start" a "thing"....because I know just how hard it will probably be to finish!

Woe is me & exhausted is me & TFFT that I've FINISHED!

[Exhausted fist-bump emoji + wrung-out sponge emoji]

• Unrelated: how do you make that colorful text?

• Your creations and pics are awesome! Your so creative and talented. I would love to be creative like that. Love your dolls to! I have a few from when I was little, I held on to most of them but don't play with them as much anymore. I like Photoshop sometimes I spend some time creating with it but for my own graphics I'll try and use Blender to sculpt them... but don't know if I'll ever get round to it. Like the lovely Uhane said I can store it in the toy box and come to it anytime in the future after schools fished maybe. Have you used Adobe Illustrator before? I see a lot of people use it but I haven't before.

Being a mum must be hard work. I'm sorry you don't get to do your hobbies as much atm. I like what you do with your daughters toys, really sweet... if I'm ever a mum I'll do that to I think that's a really sweet fun thing to do.

I read your profile and how you were bullied at school. I can relate, it's a frequent thing for me to. I think a lot of autistic people get bullied sadly but it was this back before I knew about autism when I started school why I started writing and drawing. I find I'm able to pour my pain in to those.

Sort of a nice release for me and turning something ugly in to something beautiful.
  • I learn by myself, so I’m not a professional in it, but had some help of other profi. I have my graphics in my profile. I mostly create png objects and then I like to make a picture with them by using various types of effects, manipulation etc. I work in photoshop and gimp, also Krita - is really easy programme with intuitive menu. But for animations the photoshop is best. Yeah I also like doing gif animations. Now I’m a morher of 2,5 yo so I have no time for most of my hobbies that were super intense before and I used to forget the whole world while being busy. But as Uhane described- in a really beautiful way! My hobbies are still there in the “toy box” and I dont forget them. I will pick them some day again! Sometimes I change my hobbies, in a way that I don’t fully neglect the previous one but if something new captivating appears it may throw some shadow on my previous hobby for some time. Till I decide to take the previous one. It’s like with my daughter and her toys. She has a lot of them. From time to time I take some of her toys and hide them for some time. When she sees them again after some time, she enjoys them as if they were new. 

• Oh wow you have such an awesome beautiful way of thinking and looking at things. I love that! I wish I was more like you in my ways of thinking... I feel like my own thinking thought pattern is so self destructive and causes me more harm than good. But there's time for all this to change so I try not to worry about it. 

Reading your words I imagine inside your mind it must be peaceful and tranquil, neat and tidy. When you think do you picture it like that? My social worker and therapist has tried to get me to try and picture my mind in such a way... so far it's been an unsuccessful mission lol but it's something I continue to work on.

Small steps = big things. Hopefully better things!

It's good you finish most things. I seriously need to work on this! I do a lot of writing but most likely haven't even finished 15% of what I started writing. I've got several books half filled with writing and on my computer there's even more. Learning languages is fun! I've been working on learning Italian. This is something I enjoy and have stuck to doing!

Do you do much yoga, mindfulness, exercise?? I do yoga. I follow a few different ones on YT though try not to do too many otherwise it gets overwhelming and I don't stick to it. Then again I struggle to stick to it during week days because I'm always wrecked after school.

Weekends are my zoning times. I can really relax then, find that inner peace within myself where I can just float in the aether where anxiety is banned and only peacefulness is allowed. 
    I don't get there often but when I do I have achieved peace. 
  • I pick up interests and activities as I go along in life and have them in a sort of toy box of the mind, or in a file systems in my brain. I can return and pick interests and activities up again as my mind and circumstances suit.

I do end up "finishing" activities, I may just take a little longer than your average bear. I do have to admit that having everything burn in that fire clarified some things for me, like what I need to really let go of - including cherished values I did not know I had been harbouring and which I had out grown.  a few things in my mental toy box have been donated back to collective unconscious, some files pulped to make room for new understanding.

Some of my interests will be lifelong and I will never really be 'finished', like learning a language, studying a subject. I will always finish things like writing a story through to submission, making a meal, painting a painting, keeping appointments (with lots of alarms and reminders on my phone) and taking a round of meds til the bottles empty. For me it is the sensation of enjoyment in the adsorption in the activity or interest in the moment.

If I had a business card it would probably read "Dharma Bum" as a job title, I suppose.

Of one thing I know for certain, I am an eternal being so, no rush.

• Another member said about ADHD as well it's something I'm going to mention to my mum and see what she thinks. I'll be looking it up as well I like to research things in detail especially if it's something I might have. 

It's so cool you do graphics! What kind do you do? I love graphics, I want to start doing 3d graphic designing. But so far I've never started it... I'd love to do it in the future as a job. But again starting and not finishing puts me off big time.

Something my mum says is doing things little and often maybe that might help you like with your book. You could set aside 5 mins a day... might help to do it. I do this with my own writing it doesn't work all the time but it has helped me at times. 

• For me this issue occurs only if I do some project and someone interrupts me. At work it’s hard but at work things have to be done. So I force myself and finish asap what I started. But private projects… there is one drawing I started 5 years ago. There is very little left to finish it and I know how and what to do there. But I can’t start. Maybe one day I will finish it and then I will publish it in our creative space. There is also a novel that I started and struggle to finish although I have idea. And some other unfinished graphics on my pc. I guess this is the inertia. If someone interrupts me then I have problems to go back to that previous task. But otherwise I have no problem to get things done. What you described sounds to me more like ADHD but im not sure. 

• I hope so and yeah really glad I stumbled across this site. I did try social media but I found it so overwhelming and at times destructive I couldn't stay but here feels calm and happy.

That's cool, you must have some awesome minifigures! Blush It is an expensive thing to buy lol all my pocket money is spent! I love the Harry Potter and Star Wars sets most of all. 

So excited for you going to the Lego House!!! I really want to do that to one day! Grinning

• Wow nearly 50 that's so cool!! You must have done lots and lots of interesting things! What's your favourite thing you've done? Slight smile 

When I'm older there's so much I want to do! I always want to do so many things but when it comes to I normally don't do it. I put in loads of time and effort in planning things though! I'm interested in gaming and games, and I've thought of learning to do 3d graphic designing but so far I haven't even tried. 

Your definitely right you should talk about the things you love and find interesting!! Embrace who you are, be proud. At school I used to try and be like everyone else and try to fit in but since my diagnosis last year I be myself now. I spent so long trying to be like everyone else I felt like I wasn't being true to myself. 

Everyone should always be true to themselves Slight smile 

Awesome shout with phone reminders! That's defos something I need to start doing! I let so many things escape me because I'm busy with something else so this would definitely help me out in a mega big way. 

Thx for the awesomeness suggestion! Ok hand 

• I try to remember to take breaks with a lot of activities I do. I don't always think to but when I remember it helps me pace it out and stay interested. 

• I do finish most things, but sometimes it does take a while, and a bit of a break. Unless I can hyperfixate. 

• I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about it though, I imagine it's how we find our lasting interests and hobbies, by trying some out.

I'm almost 50 so I have a long list of tried out ones, a loft full of bits of them I didn't sell, including a surfboard, wetsuits, bike parts, guitars, etc.

I always go back to a bit of lure fishing, so I don't mind spending on that. But I'm careful with others so I don't get too obsessed or waste money on them in case they don't stick.

I've probably bored a fair few people senseless talking about cars, cycling, fishing, guitars, all sorts over the years, I felt a bit embarrassed about it when I got diagnosed so made an effort to not go on talking about stuff too much, but then it makes us who we are so we shouldn't really hide it.

As for the other stuff I find using my smart watch to remind me of things Is handy, just setting a timer or a reminder on my phone, wish I'd done that with the pasta, worked out ok though, once Id made a sauce and thrown some meat in the kids enjoyed it! Working from home alone during the week means there nobody to remind me. I'm sure there's an app you can get to help manage these things too. I'd just forget to use it some days :) 

• Haha that made me laughStuck out tongue

• I’m sure they will understand more as they learn, like you say… and you’ve always got this community that can help you on your journey to! 

That’s awesome you’re into Lego too Slight smile I’ve only started collecting mini figures over the past year, but now have all of series 20 onwards. It’s such an expensive habit though lol. What sets you into? I’m planning a trip to Billund soon to the Lego House, I’m well excited. 

• Well, it is interesting that you have raised this matter now, because I am really ,, ,, ,    ,       ,

• Woah! So sorry about your pasta! Tho I completely get this...sometimes I get so absorbed by something I forget everything going on around me. This is one of the reasons why I sometimes don't drink enough. My mind is so transfixed on whatever got my attention it's like it can't compute anything else. 

Can be annoying, can cause issues like your pasta!

I'm like that with hobbies as well. Go through loads rapidly but stick with only a couple lol. Sometimes I go back to hobbies I used to have but again they don't last. Guess I get bored or find interest in something else. 

I guess it can be caused by different things like boredom or I feel I've done enough or it's time for a break... it's just a weird thing. I have this list of unfinished things and it's always getting longer.