yet another job interview question about disclosing

Hi Everyone. 

I have a job interview tomorrow, I cant decide whether i should disclose or not, I've done  a search but I cant find a solid answer other than 'its good to' or its bad to'. 

Im applying for a part time a job in a supermarket, it says fully flexible shifts between 5am and 11pm.

I need a routine, they say they are fully flexible but I hear horror stories about managers not being able to organise a rota more than 3 days ahead. I really need a regular start time, and not to be given a different one each day.

Im also worried about being constantly messaged by a manger changing my shifts at short notice.

I also don't want to have to use an app for anything.. I often leave my phone it in the house when I go out. I'm not someone who has their phone hard wired and I see it as an intrusion. 

Legally do I have to disclose in the interview? will hitting them with 'demands' if I get the job make me a pariah?

should I say all this in the interview?

what would you do? I need a job but I don't need a breakdown. I worked there in the past and I left because of a member of staff bullying me (before I was diagnosed) but he's still there. Although to be honest the place I went to next was much worse and only having one person doing it would be a relief. 

Parents
  • You're not legally obliged to inform your prospective employer (whether before, during or after the interview).

Ultimately, it has to be your decision. Some advice from the NAS:  

"Should I disclose my autism diagnosis to a potential employer?

It’s often hard to understand the benefits and drawbacks of disclosing your autism diagnosis when applying for work. You may be thinking about whether your potential employer and colleagues will understand and react to your disclosure in a positive way.

The benefits of disclosing:

• employers are legally obligated to support you and make reasonable adjustments
    • there may be better understanding from your new colleagues and manager
    • you won’t have to try and hide that you are autistic

The risks of disclosing:

• you may be met with a lack of understanding and adjustments
    • you may be worried about prejudice from your potential employer
    • you may be worried that people will unfairly exclude you

How to decide what to do

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. If you do decide to tell your potential employer, you could try writing a list of benefits and drawbacks of doing so beforehand. You can ask a friend or adviser to help and list your strengths and potential difficulties. This may help you identify what adjustments could be made and discuss these with your potential employer. You should also decide what is helpful and not helpful for your potential managers and colleagues to know."

More info and links to other resources:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/employment/seeking-work/autistic-adults

• You're not legally obliged to inform your prospective employer (whether before, during or after the interview).

Ultimately, it has to be your decision. Some advice from the NAS:  

"Should I disclose my autism diagnosis to a potential employer?

It’s often hard to understand the benefits and drawbacks of disclosing your autism diagnosis when applying for work. You may be thinking about whether your potential employer and colleagues will understand and react to your disclosure in a positive way.

The benefits of disclosing:

• employers are legally obligated to support you and make reasonable adjustments
    • there may be better understanding from your new colleagues and manager
    • you won’t have to try and hide that you are autistic

The risks of disclosing:

• you may be met with a lack of understanding and adjustments
    • you may be worried about prejudice from your potential employer
    • you may be worried that people will unfairly exclude you

How to decide what to do

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. If you do decide to tell your potential employer, you could try writing a list of benefits and drawbacks of doing so beforehand. You can ask a friend or adviser to help and list your strengths and potential difficulties. This may help you identify what adjustments could be made and discuss these with your potential employer. You should also decide what is helpful and not helpful for your potential managers and colleagues to know."

More info and links to other resources:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/employment/seeking-work/autistic-adults

Children
No Data