yet another job interview question about disclosing

Hi Everyone. 

I have a job interview tomorrow, I cant decide whether i should disclose or not, I've done  a search but I cant find a solid answer other than 'its good to' or its bad to'. 

Im applying for a part time a job in a supermarket, it says fully flexible shifts between 5am and 11pm.

I need a routine, they say they are fully flexible but I hear horror stories about managers not being able to organise a rota more than 3 days ahead. I really need a regular start time, and not to be given a different one each day.

Im also worried about being constantly messaged by a manger changing my shifts at short notice.

I also don't want to have to use an app for anything.. I often leave my phone it in the house when I go out. I'm not someone who has their phone hard wired and I see it as an intrusion. 

Legally do I have to disclose in the interview? will hitting them with 'demands' if I get the job make me a pariah?

should I say all this in the interview?

what would you do? I need a job but I don't need a breakdown. I worked there in the past and I left because of a member of staff bullying me (before I was diagnosed) but he's still there. Although to be honest the place I went to next was much worse and only having one person doing it would be a relief. 

• As someone who works in a supermarket, I can tell you the company I work for have been very supportive and have made adjustments. As for disclosing it though, i personally would.

I never had to at the interview stage because I never knew I was Autistic, that said, if I did, I probably still would have mentioned it. It’s for your own good really, because it the crap hits the fan at work, you’re sort of covered and they have to support you.

I understand the concern though, the worry that you think you won’t get the job, but if it was me, I personally would. If you require the same days, they might be able to assist with that from day 1. I managed to keep mine the same each week, and I have days off in between to give me some respite from the stress, as believe me, supermarkets if you’re working in them can be VERY stressful.

The other option is to wait till you pass your probation period (normally 3 months) and then tell them. 

Good luck with the interview and I hope whatever you decide it works out well. 

• I was just debating. I am not the one who got the chance to do an interview. 

• I have strengths that nt people can only lie on their cv about. 

At the interview stage, what do you realistically think the chances are of the interviewers knowing enough about autism to realise that there is a chance your stated skills are any more than the inflated claims that NTs make?

I expect they are probably going to use their exposure to autistic media personalities (Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory), the guy from The Good Doctor, Dustin Hoffman from Rainman etc and see all the problems that this brings.

I don't think that enough of the masses understands enough about us yet and the best way is for us to get into positions of influence and spread the work once in position. It worked for me in my last job and I probably educated 40+ people over a year that it is possible to be autistic and function fairly normally in a job while having my own private struggles with it.

I respect your choice to go in waving the flag - good luck and please let us know how you feel it went if you are willing to share.

• I want to believe that we are towards a more understanding and inclusive society. That's why I still think I would mention my autism and even embrace it as part of why I am great at the things I'm good at. I have strengths that nt people can only lie on their cv about. 

An inclusive world can only start by us accepting ourselves and finding our place inside society. Because we have a place there. In every workplace and every profession there are things people like us can do better. We just need to learn our strengths not just the weaknesses. 

Not gonna lie, it is difficult finding the right strategy. It depends on your whole story up to now too. And I guess some people just don't do for some particular jobs. The thing is, when I used to work in a place I "thought" I liked suddenly I would get the melts and then everyone would think I'm faking it or just quiting because I never took it seriously. If only I knew I was autistic back then I would never even set a foot in these places. Or they would have been more understanding. The expectations should be different from us. Not less - different. 

• For that reason I was considering to write about my autism in my cv even. But after reading all these comments I guess I shouldn't? 

I would think that unless your autism causes major problems for you in a working environment then it is best to not disclose it at interview stage.

The majority of people in this world do not understand it well and it unfortunately is likely to cause them to think of you as a liability.

It sucks but we are still decades away from a useful understanding of autism reaching the masses.

• As a newbie in the whole thing I am a bit surprised by everyone's answers. In my head I kind of thought that now that I know I am autistic life would be a bit easier.

For me it has been super challenging finding a job. I have never worked in the right places. I believe now it is a problematic case of me coming across as a completely different person than who I am (accidentally of course). 

For that reason I was considering to write about my autism in my cv even. But after reading all these comments I guess I shouldn't? 

On the other hand I really don't want to be missunderstood anymore.

• I agree. I disclosed only because some situations forced me to do so. Otherwise they would happily have no idea I’m an aspie. And that’s fine. In my case as I have a little child, I can work only morning shift because then I have to pick her up, so this perfectly covers my need for routine. There is only some issue with noises, but it’s not as bad as it was in some of my previous jobs. So I accept it and since my manager knows I’m on the spectrum I’m allowed to wear earplugs when I need them. Also wonderful thing is that I have very little contact with customers, so I’m not pushed to make eye contact and smile and make small talk. Waybills and pallets don’t talk to me. unfortunately there is still a lot of stigma around autism so disclosing it at the beginning may be a bit dangerous and may make the boss decide to not hire. 

• If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't be disclosing a diagnosis of autism at the interview stage.

All the best for it.

• Worse.

Yeah.  I agree.

It's the 'sane' people who start wars and let the world burn up.

• The question this raises, is what is sanity?

Worse.

• These are just the personal ramblings of a mad persons's opinion

The question this raises, is what is sanity?

• should I say all this in the interview?

Yes.  Explain that you do really want and/or need the job, but that you don't want it if that will result in them and/or you being unhappy and unproductive.  Tell them that you will be GREAT at this job if you can have the same start time.  Tell them that you want to be straight and honest with them ABOUT THE JOB.  Keep all the chatter ABOUT THE JOB.

In terms of telling them your particular chosen or given labels, personally, I'm not sure that is ever a great idea, because "people" often either become "uppity", "cagey" or "suspicious" of MANY different labels these days.  Best to just present yourself, not try to explain your labels.

These are just the personal ramblings of a mad persons's opinion - please therefore treat with caution.

Good luck with the interview.

Number.

• That is tricky. I have to say that if you really want the job I wouldn’t tell them at the interview. In an ideal world it wouldn’t be a problem, but it’s not an ideal world. 

• thanks . i can be flexible if i work set days i guess. but even then ill be in wait mode all day. i just hope i can have set days free to plan hobbies etc. like monday and thursday off every week guaranteed.  

• You're not legally obliged to inform your prospective employer (whether before, during or after the interview).

Ultimately, it has to be your decision. Some advice from the NAS:  

"Should I disclose my autism diagnosis to a potential employer?

It’s often hard to understand the benefits and drawbacks of disclosing your autism diagnosis when applying for work. You may be thinking about whether your potential employer and colleagues will understand and react to your disclosure in a positive way.

The benefits of disclosing:

• employers are legally obligated to support you and make reasonable adjustments
    • there may be better understanding from your new colleagues and manager
    • you won’t have to try and hide that you are autistic

The risks of disclosing:

• you may be met with a lack of understanding and adjustments
    • you may be worried about prejudice from your potential employer
    • you may be worried that people will unfairly exclude you

How to decide what to do

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. If you do decide to tell your potential employer, you could try writing a list of benefits and drawbacks of doing so beforehand. You can ask a friend or adviser to help and list your strengths and potential difficulties. This may help you identify what adjustments could be made and discuss these with your potential employer. You should also decide what is helpful and not helpful for your potential managers and colleagues to know."

More info and links to other resources:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/employment/seeking-work/autistic-adults

• I forgot about the phone. Don’t mention that you don’t carry it with you, they will just assume you do. Look at it as you would normally and reply to messages but don’t worry about it. It’s not up to them what you do with your phone. If they ask explain it to them, that you don’t carry it. It’s perfectly reasonable. 

• The eternal question for autistics! It’s extremely difficult to know what’s best because it will depend on the interviewer how they receive your situation. My autistic daughter wanted regular work times but didn’t tell her employer. This was a mistake because after a month she had to renegotiate the terms of her employment. However that being said and with hindsight here is what I would do. Ask in the interview if the rota is pretty stable once it’s in place, asked if it gets changed a lot. Say you are flexible but also you do like to know when you are working. Try to judge if they are being truthful when they answer and go for it if you’re happy.

Don’t disclose your autism diagnosis until you have passed your probation period. Then they will be happy with how you are working and won’t be too worried but under the law you can ask for reasonable adjustments, such as knowing when you are going to work.

As for bullying always complain to management if you feel you are being bullied. It is their job to deal with it not yours. Do this verbally at first and then in writing if it doesn’t improve. Usually it doesn’t improve because management hope it will stop naturally so they don’t have to get involved. This is to be expected, that you will have to increase your complaints so don’t be disheartened. Once it’s in writing, stating the issue and what exactly has happened you can move forward. 

I hope this helps and good luck! 

• Well done for even applying for a job and getting an interview. Thats an achievement to be proud of in itself.

It really is up to you if you feel comfortable sharing that you’re autistic, it’s not a problem if you don’t as you don’t have to! But I think it serves more benefits by you sharing it, also they cannot discriminate against you. And if you do disclose it during your interview, you don’t have to share anything more… but you could say that being autistic means you can follow set routines which means you will have no problem following company procedures and ensuring you follow what is expected of you. 

it’s a bit of a tricky one about start times and dates, as the company said about flexible shifts, often meaning the rota changes. But maybe you should discuss this during your interview to avoid problems later on down the line. Maybe think about if they did change shift times and dates, how much notice would work for you. You can also always thinking about asking for reasonable adjustments, but only do this if you get the job. 

good luck for your interview