This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

White Supremacy Vs White Supremacist

People need to learn the difference between the two terms.

White supremacy is the belief that white people constitute a superior race and should therefore dominate society, typically to the exclusion or detriment of other racial, ethnic, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical and mental disability groups.

White supremacist is a person who believes that white people constitute a superior race and should therefore dominate society, typically to the exclusion or detriment of other racial, ethnic, gender, gender identity and sexual orientation, physical and mental disability groups.

So one is an ideology the other is the people who enforce it. The difference is how the word ends if it ends with a y, then the ideology is being talked about, if it ends with ist, then the people who enforce the ideology are being talked about. It’s the same terminology difference as with Christianity and Christian, Christianity is the mythology and Christian is the follower of the mythology.

Using the name of an ideology doesn’t not make BIPOC people racist towards white people. So if anyone thinks that, says more about you than the people using the correct terminology.

• We do support mostly. the forum will calm down soon enough.

A problem that I have had and also others have confided they have too, is that we come here expecting people to have broadly similar traits to ourselves, and it's a shock to the system to find out just how "unique" we all are, in a group where we expected to find an easy welcome.

This forum is not always a safe space, and on occasion I have found it toxic enough to retreat to my own safe space.

That's the price I have to pay for sharing it with differently minded people. 

I've had people here quite cleverly weigh me up from my postings and try and "push my biuttons" a fairly silly activity that telegraphs more about them than it does about me. I have to put up with that ,Ideally and just look for the opportunities to be nice to people when they come up.

Here is something I've learned from some of the more "difficult" forums:

If we wait long enough, and do not ostracise each other, every poster in this thread will make a good and decent post that uplifts people instead of what we've all been doing recenlty... We'll probably find some of you have good cat pictures or are good at art, who knows? 

All these "ism's" are really a very small part of life, and we often seem to give them too much power over us..

• Does behaving like you do prevent discrimination, or futher enhance it? I don't think race matters, since we all collectively have autism, regardless of our race. If we are just a bunch of minds on this forum, and we are just discussing autism, when does skin color come into it?  I think it's about treating other people with respect, or treating people disrespectfully. Those actions get attributed to race or gender, or whatever else, and that's when everything can turn down hill. 

• who can manipulate entire societies into doing bad acts, and if such people are allowed to grow too powerful, well they can buy a media company and whisper phrases like "white priviledge" to a vast multitude, unopposed. 

While that is true, I don't think that talking about 'white privilege' is necessarily a form of manipulation. It can be but I would assume (or hope, rather) that majority of people are genuinely trying to raise awareness to a problem they've identified. Whether that problem exists or not is a different issue. But not everything is a form or manipulation, unless everything is manipulation technically....

Don't get nasty with your fellow autists, it's just like getting nasty with yourself... 

We are all vastly different so I do not believe it is equivalent to 'getting nasty with yourself', however I do agree that we should be kinder, more respectful, and patient. Regardless of neurotypes. This should be a safe place as well where support is the main priority. A good debate I would like but if we can not handle that then maybe we will all need to just stick with support as there is little available in the 'real world'.

• All you people on both sides of this discussion, just consider this:

A simple phrase has caused all this trouble. I'll admit I got annoyed seeing it, because it is a crafty and divisive and above all nebulous Idea that is bandied about to cause division.

NOW. Several people here in this conversation and possibly all of us are completely wrong in our assumptions about the other people.

But we are all (except any imposters) AUTISTIC in some way. MAYBE we can fidn a way of accepting that oterh people can be woefully "wrong" in some areas, but actually quite wise in others?  

What I had been led to believe about Autism, in that we are all fairly able to be dispassionate about the hard subjects (I was really told that!) has proven to be laughably untrue...

I am sure we all as children have met the sort of manipulative person who engineers a conflict between two people just to enjoy the fight? 

I know I was a multiple victim of such people until I learned to recognise the signs.

Debbie seems to believe that I am such a person, and if I am going to be honest, there is a provocative streak in some of what I do.

Rather than enjoying you guys fighting however,  I want more people to wake up and realise that in the world there are people that were not corrected in their childhood and who can manipulate entire societies into doing bad acts, and if such people are allowed to grow too powerful, well they can buy a media company and whisper phrases like "white priviledge" to a vast multitude, unopposed. 

At least until enough people wake up to how the mass media and other systems of harvesting your quality of life, and replacing it with a "standard of living" really works. 

Don't get nasty with your fellow autists, it's just like getting nasty with yourself... 

• These race related topics are unhelpful towards autism anyways, and hopefully we can all just respect each other. 

Actually that is incorrect, if every minority group worked together and stopped this whole not all discrimination is equal bs, it help all of us, keeping it all separated like we do and acting like they are all not equal is actually what is unhelpful.

• These race related topics are unhelpful towards autism anyways, and hopefully we can all just respect each other. 

• But I've never called you a r*cist for anything that you've stated, only that topics like white supremacy and calling people cis straight white males is demeaning to white people. And if you're against discrimination, you'd be more respectful of people regarding sex, gender,  sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, and treat everyone equally. Stating that I was bullying you for pointing that out, is not right either.

And there has been cultures without white people in it, that have had discrimination based on economic class or birth rights. So saying that all discrimination stems from white supremacy is not true. That's not me calling you r*cist, or trying to bully you,  just to make that clear. 

• Perhaps its best to end this topic. It's been carried over onto several threads and is only creating chaos and hurt feelings. Im all for debates but this is going nowhere.

• Because I don't like seeing discrimination towards "cis straight white people"

Your exact words. I was not discriminating/being racist towards white people. And saying that all discrimination stems from white supremacy, which is an ideology is in no way, shape or form being discriminatory towards white people. Now if I was going around falsely accusing every white person of being a white supremacist, which I wasn’t, then that would warrant being called racist towards white people and discriminatory but accusing me of such for saying all discrimination stems from an ideology is uncalled for.

• Anyways, messages kind of disappeared for unknown reasons. But enflores, I was not trying to say that you were a r*cist. I just pointed out that if you are against discrimination and against racism, then that should not demean white people. If you think I was calling you something I've never said, that's on you I suppose.

• The thing I'm confused about, is that I never called you r*cist, and I don't know if others have called you that, but I was pointing out how bringing up topics about white supremacy and cis straight white males were demeaning to white people. However, you're actively said I was a bully for bullying you, and calling you things I never said about you. 

• Also calling me a bully just reinstates that you are in the position of being the victim in this, even if you state that you don't have a victim mentality, but why actively call me a bully then? I've posted to you, just as much as you've posted to me. And you've accused me of things. I just pointed out that if you don't want discrimination, then why point out white supremacy? Why not respect all people equally, irrespective of the color of their skin.

• Respectfully disagreeing with you, and telling you to be careful about what you're reading online, is somehow bullying you, because you're a minority, even though I'm a minority too. I think you're laughing and being demeaning, says a lot about how you're not really against discrimination, but an active participant in it. 

• I've not stated my biological sex, gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, or anything about identity, because I don't use it to hold that over other people's heads, to blame them for discrimination, but you do. You have a victim mentality. 

JoyJoyJoyJoy Like I should listen to someone who couldn’t even bother clicking the links I posted get over yourself. I don’t have a victim mentality, you’re just a bully. Proved that when you said you didn’t check the links because as I said one was a link to CNN’s website which is a US news outlet so if you couldn’t bother to check them then I know you’re just being a bully now do me a favor and leave me alone you bully.

• I've not stated my biological sex, gender, race, ethnicity, or sexual orientation, or anything about identity, because I don't use it to hold that over other people's heads, to blame them for discrimination, but you do. You have a victim mentality. 

• I'm just stating that if you are against discrimination, why are you bringing up things that demean white people?

STOP ACCUSING ME OF BEING RACIST TOWARDS WHITE PEOPLE FFS!

Your articles are written by people who call websites things like "white supremacist websites" without even stating what website they're actually referring to.

And you just proving my point that you’re bullying me as one of the links was from a new station called CNN. I’m done with this conversation. You’re intentionally bullying me and I’m done wasting my breath on someone who couldn’t even bother clicking on the links. Bye! Leave me alone you bully.

• Oh, you don't think I'm a minority either? Oh geez.

I'm just stating that if you are against discrimination, why are you bringing up things that demean white people? Your articles are written by people who call websites things like "white supremacist websites" without even stating what website they're actually referring to. Be cautious about the types of information you're reading about. If you want equality and everyone to be treated with respect, why are you doing this kind of stuff?

• So maybe you should stop discriminating against a BIPOC person for using the correct terminology for an ideology by not saying anymore because I will screenshot all this and blast it if I must because this is showing that BIPOC Autistic people aren’t safe here if they can’t use the correct terminology without being false accused of racism towards white people.

• Actually, you’re the one who is now discriminating against a BIPOC person because you want to continue to false accuse me of discrimination towards “cis straight white people” over terminology. So I’m not the problem you are cause in my post I said “cis straight white male supremacy ideology” so continuing to call me discriminatory for using the correct terminology actually makes you the one discriminating. Bye!

• So you're staying then? Not the final goodbye?

Are topics about white supremacy and oppression the kind of stuff you'd like to discuss here? Or do you want to talk about autism? Because I don't like seeing discrimination towards "cis straight white people" as much as I wouldn't like seeing discrimination of any other group of people.