How good is your memory?

Does anybody else struggle with their short term memory?

This is becoming a serious problem for me. If I watch or read something I literally cannot remember what happened five minutes before. I usually remember the main characters names but that's about it. This is such a weird thing for me because as a kid I had a great memory, especially long term, but also short term memory too. The books I read as a kid I remember easily like I read them yesterday but as an adult it's becoming a real problem.

I don't know if this is an autistic thing or if it's maybe related to anxiety. I say anxiety because this is something that affects me in many different ways and I've considered it might be affecting my memory now.

My MH team would likely say it's mental health related which is why I haven't told them yet :') 

It definitely isn't an age thing because I've only just turned 27. But it's becoming an annoying problem to say the least!

Parents
  • My memory is excellent. I can remember things from when I was really little. I can remember everywhere I've ever been and who I spoke to, what shops I went to; and what the weather was like.

Memory is a bit of a gift for me and it's one of the things that got me my job as a personal assistant where I do a lot of typing which requires remembering conversations and things I've read.

As a child I had an excellent memory, able to recount what my teachers said at school, my parents and the teachers were always amazed at how I could do that so easily.

Like you though, I struggle to remember what I've watched. Especially films. I think where films are so fast paced and there's always lots happening it's too much to process at once and my brain can't absorb it all.
    I don't know that for definite but I am guessing that's what the problem is, for me at least.

Other than that though my memory is good.

• My memory is excellent. I can remember things from when I was really little. I can remember everywhere I've ever been and who I spoke to, what shops I went to; and what the weather was like.

Memory is a bit of a gift for me and it's one of the things that got me my job as a personal assistant where I do a lot of typing which requires remembering conversations and things I've read.

As a child I had an excellent memory, able to recount what my teachers said at school, my parents and the teachers were always amazed at how I could do that so easily.

Like you though, I struggle to remember what I've watched. Especially films. I think where films are so fast paced and there's always lots happening it's too much to process at once and my brain can't absorb it all.
    I don't know that for definite but I am guessing that's what the problem is, for me at least.

Other than that though my memory is good.

Children
No Data