Steve Wright

Sadly, Steve Wright has died. My mum is/was an avid fan and always listened to him on the radio. Got to say out of all the radio presenters out there he was one of my favourites, I liked his hunour and the music he generally played was always good.

RIP.

• I agree he was a great Broadcaster and DJ. I have to say I did like he’s afternoon show, very sad he’s no longer around 

• The guy never phoned it in in his life. A class act. Shy, funny, warm,  and truly kind. You can't fake that.

The best eulogy......ever !

• Deeply sorry for your loss, Astrid. I know from things you've said privately and publicly how much you loved him and how much you fought to get him back where he was happiest- on his afternoon show. You were a true friend to him - I know he always called listeners and guests 'friends' and very authentically - and you've lost someone truly special from your life. 

Speaking for myself... yeah, it's hit hard. Steve's voice was woven through my life. Sometimes regularly, sometimes after a long gap. The guy never phoned it in in his life. A class act. Shy, funny, warm,  and truly kind. You can't fake that. 'Loved the show, Steve'. RIP. 

• I think all the humans in the house know that Rach.......but the "sowing bad energy" bots, well, they don't give a toss about that......their mission is to sow division [This is my current working hypothesis.]

[Disambiguation......I am not accusing anyone or anything of being a bot here, at this juncture......merely gently "probing" to see what happens.  I'm mad, me!]

• To show an interest if you must know 

• I was in tears when I hear, he was such a lovely lovely person. I think that BBC 2 really stressed him out by changing his schedule all the time. He was happy on air in the afternoons, and this all got changed. A lot of autistics loved his show. I think that he was a fellow autistic, maybe he was not aware of it, but he was a shy person , who was good at talking about his special interest of radio and music. 

He was like family to me, he was on the radio and it was comforting. I used to come home from school to an empty house, but Steve and his team would be on and it was like a welcoming voice. He was that friendly fatherly voice (my father abandoned me as a child), my mum was a divorced single mother. I am so grateful for his friendly voice and he always knew what to say to cheer us all up. 

I am  going to listen to all his shows on I player before they vanish. 

• Hello 91781.

What an intriguing first-ever post you have decided to make in this place.  It kinda prompts me to ask you the same question that you posed to Rach.

Why did you pass a comment, on someone else's comment, that you thought was unnecessary?

Before you ask about my (x3 compounding question)......my answer is because I'm a keen bot detectorist and behaviourist.

• So why even comment on this discussion?

• Rest in peace Steve Wright. You will be greatly missed.

I listen to a lot of music every day, I can't get through the day without some awesome tunes playing. I used to listen to him on the radio every now and then, never felt like switching him off, his charisma shone bright and I enjoyed his antics and humour.

The first time I heard him on the radio he was playing Down In The Tube Station At Midnight by The Jam, which he started singing half way through haha. Great guy. Radio lost a great there.

• Yes he was still pretty young. I hope he didn't suffer, he was too nice for that. He is at peace now x

• Steve was one of my favourite people on radio, I fondly remember his  shows on Radio 1 and then 2, I know he was personally hurt when his Radio 2 show was cancelled. He had brilliant characters such as Sid the manager, Gervais the hairdresser, Dave double decks, Dr. Fish Filleter and Diamond geezer. My favourite  Mr. Angry from Purley. I loved his impersonation of Mick Jagger. 

Steve still presented Sunday Love Songs and had just taken over the old ‘Fluff’ Freeman show ‘ Pick of the Pops’, 69 isn’t a great age these days, he will be sorely missed.

Sleep tight Steve.

• He was pretty young to die.  I hope he felt ready, when the moment was foisted upon him.  He brought joy and entertainment to many.....so I think he should have taken comfort from that - and more importantly, I'm sure his surviving friends and family will.

RIP Mr Steve Wright.  Respect.

Number.

• Same.

I remember his afternoon show on Radio 1 back in the early 90's. Diamond Geezer was a great character.

Then he moved to Radio 2 with a daily afternoon slot which IIRC followed Ken Bruce's morning slot.
    He also had (even up to last weekend) his Sunday morning show that I'd listen to occasionally.

Thanks Steve Wright for the hours and hours of top quality radio,

RIP

• Just read about it now I don’t know who he is as he was around before my time and I don’t listen to bbc radio 1 or 2 

• I'm old enough to remember whenever he was on Radio One.

I remember him, most, on TOTP2. That show introduced me to a lot of quality Punk/Rock acts, from the Seventies.