What's your superpower?

Partly because I'm trying to cheer myself up, partly because we need a bit of positivity in life and also because I'd like to get to know you all a bit better, what is your autistic superpower? I prefer to think of the positives that being autistic brings rather than dwell on the things I struggle with and I like to think of my strengths as "superpowers".

Mine are empathy (sometimes my heart can feel like it's going to break or explode!) and spotting details / patterns, particularly in numbers and equations. I also think I see more details in nature than my neurotypical friends (nature is my "special interest") and I get far more joy and excitement from nature than most people do. What are yours?

(Just I case it's confused anyone, I've changed my username, I hope that's OK?)

Parents
  • Yours sound awesome.. thanks for creating this thread and for sharing your superpowers. My own is empathy, excellent nearly photographic memory and I'm able to mimic almost any voice I hear - male and female - and I'm very, very creative. I love being autistic! 

• I love being autistic! 

That’s great! So do I, if it’s not already obvious!

Just for your information Autistic Pride Day will be celebrated on Tuesday 18 June.

• Just to add what I hope is a sprinkle of realism. Not to piss on anyone's chips of course. Super powers are all well and good if they translate into every day life.  I know I am not on my own when I say : I don't feel like I have a super power. Getting through a regular day or week is what I am capable of.

Although I have been known to identify minor celebrities from single facial features faster than anyone else in a pub quiz. Swings and roundabouts.

• Not to piss on anyone's chips of course.

Useful phrase.  Thank you for sharing.

• You don't need to explain your elf!  Everyone's opinions are valid. I think it's good to have discussion about strengths etc.... What I contribute does depend on my current situation,  mood, circumstances at the time. I probs should've posted my reply generally rather than under your indivudyal post!

Yes I know, I just thought make sure that your points didn’t seem as though they were undermined.

• I get what you are saying. So many things are difficult and some days are worse. For me I need these kind of positives to try to distract from the rest.

• You don't need to explain your elf!  Everyone's opinions are valid. I think it's good to have discussion about strengths etc.... What I contribute does depend on my current situation,  mood, circumstances at the time. I probs should've posted my reply generally rather than under your indivudyal post!

• Super powers are all well and good if they translate into every day life.  I know I am not on my own when I say : I don't feel like I have a super power. Getting through a regular day or week is what I am capable of.

That’s ok, we are all human! I wouldn’t necessarily call my experiences ‘superpowers ‘ either it was just that I was following the format of this discussion. Instead I would usually describe them as my autistic strengths.

I understand how the superpower narrative can be harmful for our autistic community too.

Getting through everyday life is an achievement in itself!

• I agree, 'everyday life', it's the future imo Slight smile  I've always been more into swings than roundabouts (I tend to get dizzy and nauseous on those contraptions) Upside down

Reply Children
No Data