What's your superpower?

Partly because I'm trying to cheer myself up, partly because we need a bit of positivity in life and also because I'd like to get to know you all a bit better, what is your autistic superpower? I prefer to think of the positives that being autistic brings rather than dwell on the things I struggle with and I like to think of my strengths as "superpowers".

Mine are empathy (sometimes my heart can feel like it's going to break or explode!) and spotting details / patterns, particularly in numbers and equations. I also think I see more details in nature than my neurotypical friends (nature is my "special interest") and I get far more joy and excitement from nature than most people do. What are yours?

(Just I case it's confused anyone, I've changed my username, I hope that's OK?)

• Understood.  Unusually strong traits always tend to be both a blessing and a curse in equal measure

I've found the same. A blessing and a curse, true words. I find much of life a curse, very little good happens now I'm an adult. Sometimes though my memory and looking back on the good things are fun and heartwarming. For me reading is when things don't stick.

• Synesthesia is such a beautiful thing to experience.

What's your favourite colour based on this? 

Growing up I found colours confusing and frightening, I didn't realise what it all meant. 

• My own are empathy, fabulous imagination, creative, fast learner (very fast!), I can hear and taste colours, really honest and my brain is always problem solving and calculating things.

• Number that is exactly how I would explain it for me also. I really don’t understand it as even some really important things that I would want to retain disappear. Then I can remember stuff that is or has never been any use to me. I wish there was a way of changing this around as it’s very frustrating. 

• Understood.  Unusually strong traits always tend to be both a blessing and a curse in equal measure.....when you really think about them.  I seem to have a very selective memory.....with certain things simply NEVER embedding.....at all....no matter how often I'm reminded, whereas other things will stick first time and for a long time.

• Some things last a long time, for years, like I can look back and see certain memories like a video. Things like reading I can't really remember and definitely can't see.

Others are quite factual, like I open a book and can pull out information if I need to.

I find memory quite complex really. Like a lot of people the bad stuff I remember best and it can repeat like a video in flashbacks, but that's down to PTSD. I've got a diagnosis for that since last year.

• Nice to have that memory!  How long does it last?

Is it like video footage, or can you just "snapshot" your visual record?

I'd love to know more!

• My superpowers and strengths are creativity, empathy, ability to mimic really well and near photographic memory.

• It is interesting about hyper empathy.. I think my superoowers is my faith which has been going since 17. I just wrote a testimony of it online and updated it. It is an interest for sure. Also, I like waterfalls and it was for fun really and I saw all of them in London and created a Youtube page for it which I will share with you. I am diagnosed with Autism level 1-2 and I am 50 now.  I am also diagnosed with anorexia but it is not relevant here. This youtube was my waterfall project mainly, Saw them all so stopped updating. Actually there is one to see but it is dependent on the weather. I am also good with numbers. www.youtube.com/.../UCO0yVmnI84SzGputeG78BRw

This is the link for my faith blog post on my experiences.

racheltestimony.blogspot.com/

• Some make me happy and some make me extremely sad. 

Yes I get that, music evokes the same intensity of emotion for me. The intensity of feeling and being is one of the many reasons I love being autistic!

• Seems like you have some lovely memories of your grandad! Sensory experiences are so heavily intertwined with sentimental memories.

• I do get memories from smells also. My grandad who I adored used to give me wine gums when I was a child, they were always in his suit jacket pocket and he was a smoker…. If ever I have wine gums or similar now I can smell tobacco smoke on them.

• Absolutely pretty much anything to be honest. Some remind me of my mum and what she played when I was growing up, certain songs remind me of friends from the past and present, holidays and anything else in between. Some make me happy and some make me extremely sad. 

• For sure and me too. I do love the memories it triggers for me most of the time.

That's great! What songs trigger those memories?

• Yes music is very powerful, it can create feelings of nostalgia and reflection. I like how listening to a certain song can change my mood almost instantly.

For sure and me too. I do love the memories it triggers for me most of the time.

• I also relate music to memories from way back and when I hear a particular song it’s like I’m almost back there. 

Yes music is very powerful, it can create feelings of nostalgia and reflection. I like how listening to a certain song can change my mood almost instantly.

• Noted.  Thank you for taking the time.

My thinking, perceptions and understanding of the world (and my fellow humans within it).....do not appear to be shared, by anyone!

Everyone seems to be dancing to their own tune - but I can't hear ANY music, whatsoever!

It's like one of those silent discos.......but no one gave me any headphones.  Loads of people with the headphones on seem to be tuned to the "money/progress" channel, some people seem to be on the "God channel", others on the "green/climate" channel, others on the "they're out to get us" channel......but if you try to interrupt them in their dance, to ask a question or two.....they can get VERY angry about EVERYTHING very quickly indeed - or - simply dismiss the concept of questions / alternative views !  I don't know how to "be."

I wish everyone would stop and look at the floor they are dancing on !  What is that floor made of?  How thick is it?  Is this a safe silent disco? ........and the big one ...... what happens when the batteries die in the headphones?!  What then ?!

• Hi

I do think the general population has changed as Number pointed out. It scares me to witness how people seem to be towards each other these days and what their motivations are. I do feel massively alone in this world sometimes, I just feel I can see people for who they really are and not what they are portraying themselves to appear to be. 
    As I Sperg said it might be the dreaded Vax who knows?

Anyway Number the answer is yes for me, I have noticed how the population has changed….. I very often comment to my family saying that I hate people. Obviously not all people but I’m definitely worried for the future. 

• Could it be a vaxxx side effect?

• Nothing to be honest. It just means I can remember exactly how I felt from even when I was very young, good and bad. I also relate music to memories from way back and when I hear a particular song it’s like I’m almost back there.